Pics from a 1990 monster truck shootout

Xander505

Hello guys,
I'm new to the forums but have been a guest viewer for about a year. I've been following monster trucks since the late 1980s and have gone to dozens of shows in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. This includes TNT races at the Milwaukee Mile, Penda races in Union Grove (Snakebite crash), Camel/USHRA races at the Pontiac Silverdome, and Feld races at the Metrodome. I was only 3-5 years old when I attended some of those trademark events (thank God for YouTube so I can appreciate them more now) and don't have pictures of most, but I recently found a couple photo albums my Dad took of shows 1990-1996 featuring trucks regularly discussed on this site, including some of the rare ones back in their prime.

Here are a few selected pictures you might enjoy from May 20th, 1990, at the Marathon County Fairgrounds in Wausau, WI (in the following reply)

Xander505

See the reply below, when I have enough posts to qualify for posting pics.

Last edited:

CMDeerfoot

Those are some great pics Xander;I love seeing these beautiful beasts in their prime. Thanks for posting them and welcome to Mayhem!:thumbsup:

Xander505

Thanks for the welcome you guys! I'm glad you like them. I will try and post some more old photos in the coming days/weeks when I have time to scan them in. Rather than start a new thread for the time being, here are a couple more pictures from an smaller event later that summer at KNB Raceway in Eagle River, WI. I'm sure you will recognize First Blood and Pony Express from TV, but I haven't seen Insta-Gator or Granite City Crusher at any other events. Also, gotta love the old school make-shift hauler in the back of the tough truck picture (before everyone had fleets of semis).

skytruckerjr

Welcome to the board, however John Seasock did not drive that Sudden Impact. This particular Sudden Impact was the former Blackhawk which was driven by Greg Piontek. The truck was from Cudahy, WI. Cool pictures non the less.

Xander505

Thanks for the correction! I wasn't 100% on all the names (I was 4 when these were taken), just remembered seeing Seasock later on in Sudden Impact and assumed he drove the earlier one as well. Good to see another (originally from) WI guy on the boards!

car66

awesome pics and welcome to mayhem! i got to see granite city crusher out here in washington in 1996. that was the only time i had ever seen it.

midnight pumpkin

I have a question about the heavy metal monster tank. Wasnt there a monster truck with same body and name? I recall seeing it once on YouTube and I know Kyosho had an RC truck based on that so is it the same truck or was this a tank from the start?