Possibly stopping by Starbird's muesuem tomorrow

HeartbeatFan

Hey guys, I am possibly stopping in at the Daryl Starbird's muesuem tomorrow to take some updated photos of the monster truck conditions. Is there any questions I should ask while there that someone needs answered? Trevor

theace27

I have more of a statement you should make, more then a question. Tell them that if they are gonna just let those things rot away they should at least sell them at a fair price to someone who would be proud to own them. I am sure there are a few guys on here that would love to have those trucks and take way better care then what the Starbirds have been doing. I am sure they wouldn't care if you did a little climbing, could you climb up on the tires and get some interior shots as well. Thanks, can't wait to see the pictures Trevor.

Kouvre

I know I'm not going to be very popular around here for making this statement but...

Who really cares if Cliff or anyone else restores them or not? Look, I love seeing monster truck history preserved as much as anybody, but I don't think every single monster truck from the 1980s needs to be put in shrink wrap and maintained 24/7/365. And honestly, Starbird's trucks didn't look (or perform) like there was a whole lot of money put into them in the first place. The only thing notable that those vehicles accomplished was their mere existence.

Cactusjack1999

I know I'm not going to be very popular around here for making this statement but...

Who really cares if Cliff or anyone else restores them or not? Look, I love seeing monster truck history preserved as much as anybody, but I don't think every single monster truck from the 1980s needs to be put in shrink wrap and maintained 24/7/365. And honestly, Starbird's trucks didn't look (or perform) like there was a whole lot of money put into them in the first place. The only thing notable that those vehicles accomplished was their mere existence.
Frankly, I think seeing them atleast taken care of would be much much better than letting them rot outside without any sort of maintenance at all.

It's supposed to be a museum after all. Where they preserve history, not let it rust, and fall apart.

If you could ask Cliff or his dad why they don't take care of them, or at the least why they let them get so messed up in the first place would be a good start.

theace27

I know not every old skool monster truck can be restored. But I know there are guys out there and on here who would love to give any one of the Starbird's trucks a home. At least then they would get taken care of. And Cactus is right, it is a museum after all. The sight of vehicles our front like that rusting away I wouldn't think is a good image for any museum??

gm50cal

well look at this two ways. im not big on comparing nascar to MT but lets look at 2 forms of racing. Nascar, and NHRA. tho there are alot of NASCAR vehiles restored or kept up from the olden days, i bet there were alot they didn't. i love seeing historical cars from back in the day. and to be honest most racers didn't put alot of work or money into thier cars but i like them and think they are worth restoring. to see a historc stock car you have to go to a museum. its safe to say theres not many around. now NHRA its the oppostie. alooooot of old dragsters are not only restored/original they run. and at a handfully of NHRA nationals they bring these old timers out, fire em up and some even do burn outs. and yes the big names are there, inculding big daddy don garlits and a lot more. now imagine going to a MLMT and before the show having 10-15 original MTs lined up on the infield. can u imagine usa-1, BF 1, Carolina Crusher, Monster Vette all lined up next to eachother. and then a few run some cars over. wow what at sight. but unfortunatly most just sit and a re rusting away....

BiteMeStudios

I don't think that will make you unpopular. However, I, for one, care if they are restored. So, to answer your question for the record...Colby Marshall of Hazelwood, MO cares to see them restored.

KD58

Isn't the guy they interviewed on ROTMT before the race Barry Wentz, but Starbird actually drove both trucks over the course of the night? I'm struggling to remember....did both Starbird trucks ever face off? It wouldn't surprise me if Starbird just pulled double duty and the Wentz guy was just used as a face for the interview so as to not confuse people watching the show.

-kd

gonzo

Ya know... I love the old leafers as much as anyone. But you guys really think it's that easy to restore them and keep them up? No, it can't be. For one, it's too costly. And it's too demanding. Of course, it would be nice if someone could, but it's just not feasible. Even if you gathered up 20 of the greatest ones from back in the day, what would that be worth for the average fan to pay and go look at them? Five bucks? Ten bucks? How many people off the street would shell that out to see? Very few. So where's all the funds going to come from? If every active member on this board went, once a year, to see them, what would that total annually? Nowhere enough to even pay for one month's heating bill for the warehouse/museum. Who here on this board can REALLY afford to restore one of these trucks, keep it up, AND have a nice climate-controlled area to keep it.... forever? Eventually, the puppy grows up, eats more food, takes bigger dumps and needs to see the vet.

Be realistic here guys. It's kinda like the 98 year old aunt.... everyone in the family thinks she shouldn't have to move into a state nursing home, but no one wants to pay her bills, and have her move into their house.

Jason Twite

Freelancer
The guy interviewed on ROTMT is not Barry Wentz. As the story goes, Barry is dead and his wife cannot ID the person in the video.

BiteMeStudios

Here is what happened...

I got an email from Lisa Wentz, Barry's widow. She explained to me that she was very happy that someone was featuring videos with her husband driving, but the man that was identified as Barry Wentz in ROTMT is not him. She married him years after his monster truck days, so she had no information about those days other than through her late husband. I have also emailed the Starbirds, and they cannot identify the man interviewed.

Kouvre

Isn't the guy they interviewed on ROTMT before the race Barry Wentz, but Starbird actually drove both trucks over the course of the night? I'm struggling to remember....did both Starbird trucks ever face off? It wouldn't surprise me if Starbird just pulled double duty and the Wentz guy was just used as a face for the interview so as to not confuse people watching the show.

-kd
I'm fairly sure that Starbird indeed drove both trucks that night. The guy they showed driving both trucks had the same clothes, same mustache, and the same mullet, so I'd be shocked if they actually had someone else drive. Cliff did the same thing in Seattle in 1987, and only used Barry to drive when two of his trucks were racing.

adam tereska

I also realize not all of the old schoolers can be restored, although there are a large number of people not on this board I talk or have talked to who said they would love to get a hold of one of them; but the point I believe is being made here is Cliff's three trucks specifically should be redone. From pics I have seen, they don't seem to need THAT much work to be returned to some point of respectibility. I mean they could have at least kept up the top on the Mustang and kept the glass in the vehicles. Seen rotting away like that would give the first impression that their museum is a glorified junkyard when it is not. That is one point being made. Another example is Gravedigger 1. There is a truck that should be as new inside the dungen where it belongs and not in some muddy portion of his property. I am sure he has the money to rebuild that truck to new condition.