Question About Dennis Taft's Photos

Danny H.

Why are people stealing Dennis Taft's photos?

You know, people give this and that for why they don't come to Mayhem anymore. But I singularly blame you and your asinine topics as to why I don't come here much anymore.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

tom6024

Why are people stealing my Instagram pictures? Because it's probably easier than getting a job, buying a ticket & camera, and taking & posting your own pictures...

rainyday290

Stealing? Stealing would imply that he no longer has them. He still has every picture on his site so nothing has been stolen.

Jus Show N Off

does me scowering the net for photos to use for my videos qualify as "stealing"
Yes it does. Do you give photo credit to every single photo you borrow for one of your "videos?"

As for Taft, screw Taft. He basically made a game of pillaging the web for photos years ago and claiming them as his own once he placed his craptastic logo on them and hosted them on his website.

Now... in my mind, there are 2 forms of stealing. One is intellectual property theft of which Taft is 100% guilty; the other type is the theft of his webhosting. When you take a picture without request, you are essentially stealing his bandwidth - which is nary a major crime.

tom6024

does me scowering the net for photos to use for my videos qualify as "stealing"
If you didn't ask me first, especially if you remove my watermarks or don't say thanks, then yeah, I consider it stealing. I have no issue if asked, or if given credit. I get that it's on the internet, so it's not tangible, but still.

chad4208

I'm not postings full pictures with watermarks. one, that is rude, and disrespectful. I'm talking about the figure cut outs... and I usually type I dont own the live photography..credit etc....

But I guess its not legally stealing unless its copyrighted...but Im NOT just re posting pictures

Backchannel

I could ask him the same thing... He certainly has posted plenty of mine without asking. He screen capped my videos as well as dredging my facebook account. Nature of social media? Fine, but he has jumped on a few people including me for posting our own pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Attachments

chad4208

Get out of your parents basement and realize in the real world, people aren't always cozy and nice....

Backchannel

Fair use is not an act one can commit, it is merely a copyright limitation that is mainly used as an allowance for cataloging of copyrighted works. Any material which has been uploaded to the internet which isn't copyrighted does not fall under this limitation and is often, but not always considered public domain. However if one makes a profit from an intellectual material which is in the public domain, the author or artist can seek litigation for unauthorized for profit usage of their intellectual material. Simply putting a credit, or citation above a photo is not legal acknowledgement of copyright and can be considered an infringement. Fair use doctrine is more a path for a defendant to pursue settlement without financial litigation after an infringement claim has been made against them, such as using a profit motive defense. It puts the burden of proof on the defendant after proof of copyright has been presented. What Dennis is guilty of and what most of us are guilty of is plagiarism. Innocent as the intent maybe it is an ethical argument, not a legal one. Dennis however is also guilty of infringement when he posts pictures from magazines on his page without permission from the producers and authors of said publications. This includes screen shots, photo copies, and photos he gets from online publications. So no he is not protected by the fair use doctrine, no one is under the banner of fair use. Fair use must be proven in court after litigation is sought. Infringement is a legal matter, plagiarism is an ethical matter.