Rockstar gets total facelift

wykdlilchit

With Bill booking more and more shows all the time, it seemed a good idea to use our down time to make the truck a little more "body friendly". We have been busy at the shop cutting the truck apart from the main frame rail down to make it a 4-link truck with new nitrogen shocks. We lowered the motor and changed out the transfer case also. Bill should be able to stuff the truck in the trailer after a show now without broken springs. The reason for this is obvious. The cost to have the springs made far supasses that of doing this upgrade, and Bill would like to still be able to move when he's 50. The truck will be sporting a whole new look for the 2009 season also. Both trucks are undergoing many changes and upgrades to make them "legal" for MTRA and USHRA. Here is a sneek peek at the work being done to the truck.

Tim Dudley

I think it would be nice to see him do reverse wheelie on Speed Channel because it will be FIRST for USHRA and for TV....When I saw the video of bill on youtube doing that my mouth just hit the floor and...

Your friend,
Tim

gmtgmt

we can only hope the truck still proform as good as it did with leafs and still do reverse wheelies

ClassicMT

So are those four links basically parallel, rather than triangulated? How does that affect articulation...I know that's not a huge concern for monster trucks, but they do take odd bounces from time to time that really put a triangulated system through a workout. I can only imagine the stresses put on a parallel system in that situation, but I guess if you have a sway bar that's up to the task, that would help. I'm definitely going to miss the leaf springs. Is he leaving the wheel base the same or stretching it a little in the process of all this?

Sinister '32

More than likely, the bottom links will be triangulated, converging at the chassis. That's how Deal Breaker is. I've seen other four-link trucks with top-loader style axles done that way too (Nemesis). That way, you're not attaching the four-links to what are essentially coverplates on the tops of the diffs.

RebelReaper

Trucks lookin' better. I liked seeing a leafer perform in a way but IMO it was just too bouncy by today's standards. Can't wait to see it finished!

jmh1134

my initial concern is the same as all of yours......I hope it performs the same(or better):eek:

And I totally agree. A reverse slap wheely would blow away the Monster Jam audience!

freakshow

Bill Payne: World Finals Freestyle Champion?
I think he can do that :)
He could do that. Not in that truck though. Keep in mind the air that these guys get at a Monster Jam event. Short wheel base = Unpredictable. I like Bill's fabrication skills, but IMO it would have made alot more sense to run a lighter duty leaf pack added with nitrogen, but oh well. I predict this chassis will finally be retired within 12 months. **** maybe even 6.

:)Stephen

straightupracing

well as more days pass working on the truck things keep looking better and better. the cradle is all done. shocks and mounts are done. bump stops and steering is done as well.
we thought about doing the shocks and keeping the springs but as teri wrote the springs just dont hold up. with all the crossed up landing that i was doing i was breaking a sping at least every show and center pins as well. the springs just cant take the side to side hits they only work going up and down, the truck just needed extra strength. a was shearing traction bar bolt every pass. i would keep a couple bolts and the wrenchs in the pits and after every pass i would change the bolt.the bottom of my motor thanks me as well when i would break the front springs the front end would come up and smash the oil pan. i had solid steel bump stops and they still would bend.
the wheel base is going to be a wapping 112" we are putting the back axle back 2 inches. the transfer case got moved up 9 inches as well to get rid of the 14 inch long rear driveline. now i have a wapping 26 inch rear driveline. the old t-case was the 2 and 4 wheel drive case that was all broke inside and kept breaking the front cone off so i got a new 4 wheel drive only t case and put in it.
the idea was about the same as deal breaker, besides i fixed the things i messed up on, the cradle is a 32" drop instead of 24" and all the brackets are 3/8 instead of 1/4. deal breaker has worked great and has small breakage but i figured since i love beating on the truck i would go over kill..
the idea was to get the truck legal to go into monster jam. i have no problem winning against the trucks i run against now but im a pee-on when you put me next to a name like denis or tom. every year i feel im getting better and better. thats whats great about competition, when you get race-fevor you push yourself. thats how anyone that is good gets good cause someone else was a challange and pushed them harder.
as for how long the truck will be around a dont know. its hard to through away a truck that make me money. the promotors that i run for seem to like it very well. if i do tear it apart it will be because it cant hadle the abuse but if you look at how over kill it is you will see that it should last.
we will post more pictures this weekend. hope you all like it.

straightupracing

and the reverse slap wheelie a beleive will be just fine. i was able to pull one off in deal breaker this summer.
that is my only concern as well, is that the truck performs great like it did. good thing about doing all the work myself is that if i dont like it i can cut it off and try again. but i think it will shocl alot of people it will still be stiff but wont have the uncuntrolable bounce. which means racing may be posible.
Dec 27th we will all know what it is going to be like as its test will be at the WGAS show in mexico. thanks again for enjoying my driving and showing interest in the trucks conversion. Bill

bigskyrmk

and the reverse slap wheelie a beleive will be just fine. i was able to pull one off in deal breaker this summer.
that is my only concern as well, is that the truck performs great like it did. good thing about doing all the work myself is that if i dont like it i can cut it off and try again. but i think it will shocl alot of people it will still be stiff but wont have the uncuntrolable bounce. which means racing may be posible.
Dec 27th we will all know what it is going to be like as its test will be at the WGAS show in mexico. thanks again for enjoying my driving and showing interest in the trucks conversion. Bill
I have pictures of you doing a reverse slap wheelie in kalispell this summer but its on my old phone (so if you have a usb plug for that phone cause i dont) i will send the phone to you and you can download them and it was in deal breaker. let me know btw U DA:eek: MAN!!!!!!!

Sinister '32

Have you braced the center post where the top fourlink pockets tie in? You may want to consider that if you haven't. With the pockets not being shared between the centerpost and the main rail (Like on a Wilman) that puts allot of load on the centerpost and can break it. Fred Shafer had that happen on his first coilover truck and changed his fourlink after he broke the center post. Food for thought, I know that's stout rectangular tubing and all but it should probably be braced.

MonsterTruckLuvin

Bill Payne in Monster Jam? Oh man that'd be sick!
Indeed. While I'd be curious to see Bill on a big floor, I prefer to see it in the smaller arenas simply because you can always count on it to provide a "price of admission" show no matter how large or small the arena is. There is also the unpredictability of movement issue on the bigger floor with the short wheelbase.

straightupracing

well guys the truck is almost done. today i stripped the truck all the way, nothing left. not a wire, bolt, part, anything in it. in the morning ill start sanding and griding any sharp spots. then roll it out side and hot water pressure wash it. then push it back in the shop and start getting ready for paint on thursday. i would love to show you all a picture but i cant figure that part out so you will get to see it when teri gets back on monday and she can do that part. we have and are doing alot to it to make it legal for monster jam. deal breaker was not far from being legal but rock star was about a page worth of stuff away from passing.i hope by monday the truck will be almost back together. this is the secong time in two years the truck has been stripped like this, first time was to create rock star from the old high voltage and now this time to better the truck and to better its performance. we hope. i think its look bad as$ and i hope you guys do also.
thanks again. Bill