San Diego WOW Factor...

chad4208

From MJonline

Tonight, we witnessed something so spectacular that it was replayed over, and over, and over again. Monster Energy had a slight lead going into the final turn ? but more importantly, Bradshaw was lined up perfectly straight to hit the tabletop and finish. Weenk knew that if he slowed down in the turn to straighten out, he?d lose too much speed, and would most certainly lose the race. So, he decided to just stomp on the pedal. With both trucks launched into the air, our jaws dropped while Lucas Oil Crusader flew over the top of the already airborne Monster Energy. It looked like the two trucks were going to collide in mid-air. Amazingly, Weenk was just a split second behind, enough time for Bradshaw to clear out before they both landed. Amazing!

I know in the Toronto thread they noticed the tabletops being rather steep....

Anyway, if anyone has a video!

fastj14

That sounds amazing! Surely someone in the crowd got video, if not monster jam themselves!

Saw it with my own eyes. Breathtaking to watch, and got video of it. It was a hard hit for Crusader because he hit the turning car and hit the tabletop with a weird angle and got up pretty high to miss Monster Energy. Don't know if I'm in the mood to post it though.

carcrusher

That's why there's a definition line between the post and the signature - they're separate parts.

Definitely a hairy moment for sure - I just hope that it doesn't deter them from continuing to use the only alternative they use to the craptastic Stadium Chicago Style racing.

OldSchoolDude

The San Diego track is the best racing track design MJ has had in a long time. Throwing the extra jump in on the back stretch is nice, and seeing the trucks fight it out to the finish line is cool. The only things I would change is I would move the starting line a little ways before the table top, and increase the size of the jump a little on the back straight. It's barely a speed bump for these guys. It's still a major improvement over the status quo Chicago style track. Seeing trucks race to the finish line from opposite directions, at opposite sides of the course just doesn't have that "edge of your seat" anticipation of who's going to take the lead. I'd like to see MJ promote this track more at the stadiums, even if it's a slight scaled down version.

As for the near collision... this is the kind of racing action we've been missing. Dont' get me wrong, I'm not promoting wrecklessness or a disregard for safety. I just remember the good ole days of TNT and Penda, and all the "wow moments" those guys used to have. I'd go to more MJ events if they'd increase their focus on racing, instead of letting the free style obstacles dictate the track layout.

ImpactNeddus

@OldSchoolDude, collisions have been happening for many years at Phoenix. Take Iron Outlaw vs. Grave Digger 2010 qualifying, for example. Or 2xtreme battle 2010 final. Or the infamous Avenger vs. Madusa 2011 that has made Chase famous as a Monster Jam venue.

HOLY YOUKNOWIT THAT WAS CLOSE. That's an MJ:pOD moment right there.

north star

what, the safety police aren't going to come out on this just because it's a calfornia style race track? cool moment though even if it could've killed damon

MrMonsterTrucks

The San Diego track is the best racing track design MJ has had in a long time. Throwing the extra jump in on the back stretch is nice, and seeing the trucks fight it out to the finish line is cool. The only things I would change is I would move the starting line a little ways before the table top, and increase the size of the jump a little on the back straight. It's barely a speed bump for these guys. It's still a major improvement over the status quo Chicago style track. Seeing trucks race to the finish line from opposite directions, at opposite sides of the course just doesn't have that "edge of your seat" anticipation of who's going to take the lead. I'd like to see MJ promote this track more at the stadiums, even if it's a slight scaled down version.

As for the near collision... this is the kind of racing action we've been missing. Dont' get me wrong, I'm not promoting wrecklessness or a disregard for safety. I just remember the good ole days of TNT and Penda, and all the "wow moments" those guys used to have. I'd go to more MJ events if they'd increase their focus on racing, instead of letting the free style obstacles dictate the track layout.
I feel that Monster Jam has taken So-Cal Racing out of its West Coast boundaries. I mean, look at New Orleans or Toronto last year. Those were both rectangular NFL/Soccer/Whateve rstyle floors and they had So-Cal Racing. Who knows, it may come to the point where, as far as the big stadiums are concerned, 50% chicago style variations, 50% So-Cal Style. Don't stop dreaming my amigos.

AlphaDog

I like exciting racing, most shows it seems like racing is just to fill time until freestyle, it's like racing doesn't matter anymore, if racing is hyped to the same level as freestyle, the shows will be better