Shortiron II

shortiron

These are a few pics from the last 4 weeks.The truck is going to have a 154'' wheel base,rear engine,with Knight Stalker shocks

The truck is a 2009 Chevy crew cab

Last edited:

blazentrout

Jason will have to correct me if im wrong but when i was at his house it looked like a salvage cab(still in nice condition). i dont think he brought a whole truck. The sob is tall.

shortiron

Trouts right, I bought the body from a junkyard.The cab and box have never been installed. Scraped because of a paint defect.

Steven

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Created a spot for you in the photo gallery and uploaded your images. Really like build pics as I think it ads alot to the background/history of the vehicle once it is done. Keep up the good work :)

shortiron

This week I'm going to try to get the bed sides mounted and start on the shock mounts. Also I would like to get the axles in, but I'm having a hard time finding another steer.I have axles out of a case loader,they only have 8 wheel studs,not sure what they are.Any help would be good if someone has a idea. I'll post pics tonight when I get home.

blazentrout

what junk yard have paint defect cabs?.... i'd like to check that out
They are some times known as a "test" body. They pop up in the rebuilder/salvage market. What i understand is if there is an issue with QC in paint (ect),they scrap the body rather than strip and repaint do to cost and time and they end up on the gray market at times.
Another way they show up is the company gives a body to a supplyer so they could aftermarket or ome part fitment so parts are ready at release and the body is sold as surpulse, scraped or given to an employee. i have seen a couple of these bodys and they dont have vins or even seam sealer on the seams. a couple did not even have paint on them.
As for what junk yard, i cant tell you as the people i know wont tell me exactly how they find/get them, but they hinted at its all who you know.
not much help, but its what i know on the subject. Trout

T-Rex

Iron Man! All that work and your going to skimp on the axles? Send me a photo of what you have! You need to hold out a few days and buy something that will keep you going for some time. Are you going to run the truck for a hobby or for a living? Don't be offended, just want you to complete it the correct way! Chad

T-Rex

I could be wrong, but it looks like a P151 rockwell/pettibone, it's only a 6 ton unit. Good ride truck equipment!

shortiron

I'm building it for hobby right now,but I am looking into building sheetmetal housing with clarks. These axles will get me by for now,its only a few tabs and some shock mounts to change a axle.lol The part # on the axle is PR 60 HX9 It said Rockwell J.I.Case, rear ratio is 5.29.the serial # is 5-64-0016

Last edited:

shortiron

Not much got done this weekend,I had to replace the back half of a mud truck for a friend.:eek: The frame broke in half at the last mud run. I should have some up dates by the end of the week.:D

shortiron

Not much action lately,These are a couple my wife took. The box side is just sitting there:Wink:

Last edited:

Christian Riedel

Not much got done this weekend,I had to replace the back half of a mud truck for a friend.:eek: The frame broke in half at the last mud run. I should have some up dates by the end of the week.:D
Is that Willoughby's Diesel? Just wondering if it could be the same guy, Rockwells with full cleat 54s...1/2 ton frame. He broke his in half at our alumni run a couple weeks ago. What a small world if it was eh?

shortiron

I am trying to get the wheels done,but funds are runnin low lol.I found a guy that has 8 wheels and 4 tires 4sale.I have been thinking about buying them,mounting my tires and selling a set,but we'll see I've got to sell some parts first.