Skoal crusher question

tim71

Okay, I've got a question or observation about Seth's trucks which were always some of my absolute favorites. I know the original Skoal Bandit (Cameo) was his first. Then there was the Skoal Crusher that was on that home video with Bear foot (can't remember the name right now).

Look on Dennis Taft's site and go to Skoal Copenhagen crusher page 1 and look at the truck. I'm not sure the truck at the bottom on the youtube video is the same as the truck at the top. I've got 1986 edition of Thunder trucks and if you look on page 66, you can see that this Skoal Bandit is the same as the first on pictured on that page of Tafts. If you look really close, it doesn't have the straight frame but rather a curved "stock" frame. The one on youtube is the clip from that home video and it has the straight frame.

Could there be one more Dalton truck that what I first thought? I always thought Copenhagen Crusher (1966 chevy) was the third truck but was it possibly the forth?

#1 Skoal bandit cameo
#2 Skoal bandit #2?
#3 Skoal Crusher from video
#4 Copenhagen Crusher
#5 Boss
#6 Rocket
#7 Skoal Bandit (580 supercharged version)
#8 Eliminator
#9 Skoal Bandit / Eliminator copy.

H. Punch
Samson
Skoal Crusher / Lethal Weapon ford.

I used to think #2 and #3 were the same with a new paint job but now I see some definate differences. I need to find the video to make sure or somebody with a high-speed connection could watch that youtube video but I'm almost possitive it's a straight frame truck.

Anybody?

Tim

tim71

One more thing, do we know where all of Seth's trucks ended up? I know a couple went overseas but what about all the others?

Tim

adam tereska

The Ford, which stayed Ford powered its entire life; is now the Beverly Hillbillies '26 Oldsmobile and in a museum. It used to have a 528 ci Ford on alcohol but was detuned with a basic 460 Ford on pump gas. I think George Barris did the conversion. One of the trucks I do believe was siezed in customs in Egypt, Cairo I think; and stripped by locals along with Bigfoot 6/ Castrol Crusher and resides in an Egyption junkyard. Japan has a number of the trucks; I don't know how many. A friend of the family was stationed there for several years and saw a lot of them. They are flat out babied over there I was told. One event the family friend saw two of the trucks collided.
The next day, they were like new and there was no sign of a collision. They really take care of the trucks over there.

gmtgmt

well
the first Skoal truck was not the cameo it was the original Cardiff Giant (the Truck the roll over in the lake) witch was built by jim ries but later they built the boss 1 and then the Skoal camo truck
the Car diff giant was rebuild into Hawiian Punch and later was bouth by Seth and turned into AMPM Flying Eagle witch is in japan or it was sold to japan back in early 90s along with the Cameo truck

for where the truck are now thats a good question only 4 trucks can be confirmed found
AMPM boss 1 was used in the Herbie Fully loaded movie and you can now rent the truck for 1200$ a day by a hollywood car company and have uesed parts from No Problem 2

AMPM boss 2 is in the costems in Egypt along with Nigte life 3 and Bigfoot 6
cant find the picture right now of how it looked before it ended up there
AMPM Rocket is in Uk under the name of Extream still in awesome condition

Skoal Crusher is the only truck in japan thats confirmed alive

Website http://www.wakkan.com/~monster/ i have tryed to contact them regurding other trucks but no luck

TeamMayhem

Wasn't Bigfoot 6 sold to a European Promotor, which did an insane amount of shows in a short time? (Referencing: MonsterPhotos.com, Bigfoot 6 page)

Was this truck lost in a customs deal too? Or is it still over there as something else now?

gmtgmt

Was this truck lost in a customs deal too? Or is it still over there as something else now?
yes its was idk what condition its in today if it isnt scraped allready
it was named Castrol Crusher i have a couple of picture of it some where i found wille searching

Sinister '32

well
the first Skoal truck was not the cameo it was the original Cardiff Giant (the Truck the roll over in the lake) witch was built by jim ries but later they built the boss 1 and then the Skoal camo truck
No the Cameo was Seth's first Monster. They then bought Cardiff Giant (After it was rebuilt from the lake incident) and it ran the Skoal Crusher and the Skoal Bandit name as well. This truck is often affectionately referred to as Skoal Bandit #2.

Tim, the truck in the video and the photos on that page are the same. Cardiff Giant/Skoal Bandit 2 was built off an OEM frame but it was extensively reinforced. In the video it looks like a straight frame but if you look close you can see the OEM frame from the reinforced areas.

the Car diff giant was rebuild into Hawiian Punch and later was bouth by Seth and turned into AMPM Flying Eagle witch is in japan or it was sold to japan back in early 90s along with the Cameo truck
Cardiff Giant and Hawiian Punch were actually two different trucks. Hawiian Punch was built on a straight rail frame whereas Cardiff Giant was based on an OEM frame as previously discussed. Cardiff built Hawiian Punch after selling the first truck to Dalton. Dalton later ended up buying Punch later and changing it to Flying Eagle.

tim71

Scott,

Thanks for the info! So when Cardiff Giant was rebuilt, it wasn't replaced with a newer body like Punch? Did Reis build the Cardiff Giant like was suggested?

I'll have to dig out that old video now. I'm sure you're right as I haven't seen it in forever, I was just thinking it was a straight frame.

What about this Boss #2? I've never seen anything of that.

Did the Cardiff Giant become Skoal after Seth bought it or before? Did he buy the H. Punch before or after building the Copenhagen Crusher?

Tim

BIGFOOTIII

Golden State trucks

Okay, I've got a question or observation about Seth's trucks which were always some of my absolute favorites. I know the original Skoal Bandit (Cameo) was his first. Then there was the Skoal Crusher that was on that home video with Bear foot (can't remember the name right now).

Look on Dennis Taft's site and go to Skoal Copenhagen crusher page 1 and look at the truck. I'm not sure the truck at the bottom on the youtube video is the same as the truck at the top. I've got 1986 edition of Thunder trucks and if you look on page 66, you can see that this Skoal Bandit is the same as the first on pictured on that page of Tafts. If you look really close, it doesn't have the straight frame but rather a curved "stock" frame. The one on youtube is the clip from that home video and it has the straight frame.

Could there be one more Dalton truck that what I first thought? I always thought Copenhagen Crusher (1966 chevy) was the third truck but was it possibly the forth?

#1 Skoal bandit cameo
#2 Skoal bandit #2?
#3 Skoal Crusher from video
#4 Copenhagen Crusher
#5 Boss
#6 Rocket
#7 Skoal Bandit (580 supercharged version)
#8 Eliminator
#9 Skoal Bandit / Eliminator copy.

H. Punch
Samson
Skoal Crusher / Lethal Weapon ford.

I used to think #2 and #3 were the same with a new paint job but now I see some definate differences. I need to find the video to make sure or somebody with a high-speed connection could watch that youtube video but I'm almost possitive it's a straight frame truck.

Anybody?

Tim

The Ace and I have been talking about this very thing lately. We came up with several iterations of trucks. I also read some where GSP had up to 11 trucks.

Skoal bandit #1 - Cameo

Skoal bandit #2 - '72 Chevy - from what I have seen in pictures and read this truck was completely new. I've seen pictures where it is racing along side a BOSS and Rocket at the same show.

Copenhagen Crusher #1 - '72? Chevy?

Copenhagen Crusher #2 - '66 Chevy

Copenhagen Crusher #3 - '89 Ford

Copenhagen Crusher #4 - '90 Chevy

Boss #1 - '72 Chevy

Boss #2 - '72 GMC

Rocket - '72 Chevy

Eliminator - '90 Chevy

Here is what Acester and I came up with -

Skoal bandit #1 - Cameo (unchanged)

Skoal bandit #2 - '72 Chevy - from what I have seen in pictures and read this truck was completely new. I've seen pictures where it is racing along side a BOSS and Rocket at the same show. (unchanged?)

Copenhagen Crusher #1 - '72? Chevy? (also was Cardiff's Giant/Hawiian punch/Flying Eagle?)

Copenhagen Crusher #2 - '66 Chevy (unchanged)

Copenhagen Crusher #3 - '89 Ford (Lethal Weapon/Beverly Hillbillies?)

Copenhagen Crusher #4 - '90 Chevy (also was/is the Eliminator)

Boss #1 - '72 Chevy (unchanged? Turned into the GMC BOSS?)

Boss #2 - '72 GMC (was the Chevy BOSS?)

Rocket - '72 Chevy (unchanged?)

Eliminator - '90 Chevy (was the Copenhagen truck)

AvengerFan86

Race Team - Virginia Beach Beast
The Ace and I have been talking about this very thing lately. We came up with several iterations of trucks. I also read some where GSP had up to 11 trucks.

Skoal bandit #1 - Cameo

Skoal bandit #2 - '72 Chevy - from what I have seen in pictures and read this truck was completely new. I've seen pictures where it is racing along side a BOSS and Rocket at the same show.

Copenhagen Crusher #1 - '72? Chevy?

Copenhagen Crusher #2 - '66 Chevy

Copenhagen Crusher #3 - '89 Ford

Copenhagen Crusher #4 - '90 Chevy

Boss #1 - '72 Chevy

Boss #2 - '72 GMC

Rocket - '72 Chevy

Eliminator - '90 Chevy

Here is what Acester and I came up with -

Skoal bandit #1 - Cameo (unchanged)

Skoal bandit #2 - '72 Chevy - from what I have seen in pictures and read this truck was completely new. I've seen pictures where it is racing along side a BOSS and Rocket at the same show. (unchanged?)

Copenhagen Crusher #1 - '72? Chevy? (also was Cardiff's Giant/Hawiian punch/Flying Eagle?)

Copenhagen Crusher #2 - '66 Chevy (unchanged)

Copenhagen Crusher #3 - '89 Ford (Lethal Weapon/Beverly Hillbillies?)

Copenhagen Crusher #4 - '90 Chevy (also was/is the Eliminator)

Boss #1 - '72 Chevy (unchanged? Turned into the GMC BOSS?)

Boss #2 - '72 GMC (was the Chevy BOSS?)

Rocket - '72 Chevy (unchanged?)

Eliminator - '90 Chevy (was the Copenhagen truck)
The Eliminator and The Copenhagen truck were 2 different rucks. I'll e-mail seth and ask him to explain the list of truck GSP owned or Todd could explain as well.

tim71

Pretty sure both those Boss trucks were the same only with a new front end or grill.

I believe Eliminator and the 90 Skoal truck were 2 different trucks. I've seen a magazine article years after the trucks quit running and the Eliminator was on display somewhere. The Skoal truck was for sale in a trader type paper with the green paint.

Scott says the Skoal crusher and Skoal bandit #2 were the same truck which was the Cardiff Giant. I really though the Skoal crusher on monster mania was a straight frame truck but I can't swear to it so I'm comfortable taking his word on it. I'll try to dig it out and watch it to satisfy my curiousity.

Didn't Seth come on here from time to time? Boy he could sure clear some of this up.

Tim

gmtgmt

Eliminator 91 and skoal/copenhagen crusher 4 90. 2 diffrent trucks :confused:

from the pics and video of the trucks i have seen im sure they where the same trucks as Eliminator was owned by Ecology not just sponsored
thats why they still have the truck today

here is a quote from Todd in a thread i made about Cardiff giant and Hawiian punch
I'm guessing the pics you are referring to was a situation where Golden State borrowed the Cardiff Giant for a show or two and put Skoal on it, before they ended up buying after Cardiff was changed to Hawaiian Punch.
i really hope Seth can clear this mess up and tell us how it really is with the trucks as im getting very confused now

tim71

I used to think the Eliminator and the Skoal with the new body were the same truck but a while back somebody told me that the Skoal truck was a copy of Eliminator that Reis built. That would explain it being for sell with the Skoal paint but I don't know my friend.

I just went back and watched monster mania again and I was mistaken about being able to see the frame clearly so I have to say Scott was right. I simply can't see enough detail in my copy to say for sure. The paint looks similiar to Cardiff Giant so maybe they did borrow it and slap a partial body decal on it or something.

I can definately see the Hawaiian Punch and Flying eagle being the same truck since they both have the firestones and look the same. Now, when Brian Cardiff repaired the Giant after the roll-over, did he put a newer body on it or replace it with the same one? If he replaced it with a newer one, then I can see the punch and Giant being the same truck, if now then It's probably not.

Okay, I just looked at Punch on Taft's site and in one pic you can definately see that it's a straight frame truck. Scott is most certainly right then because you can definately see in some pics that Skoal crusher is a OEM frame truck.

Tim

tim71

Okay, I just looked at Punch on Taft's site and on the photo where he's doing the backwards wheelstand, it has in the photo, "Brian Cardiff's 19 day wonder".

How does one build a completely new monster truck from the ground up in 19 days? Could it have been a re-built roll-over truck? Maybe he took the opportunity to put in a new frame?

Scott's info sounds good but the 19 day part is incredible if that's the case.

I'll have to go dig out some old magazines now because Cardiff Giant's photos on Taft's site are hard to see any detail at all.

Tim

carcrusher

How does one build a completely new monster truck from the ground up in 19 days?
lots of overtime? haha. may explain why the thing didnt run that great though. always seemed super stiff.

tim71

Wow, I was thinking how good it performed for the day ha ha! On the Monster mania video, seemed to me that Scott Stephen's truck was much bouncier. As the Skoal truck it would actually air out all four tires.

Anyway, I just looked at my old mags and saw nothing that would help.

I do believe now though that the C Giant and Skoal Crusher were both the same truck. Both 79 bodies and the paint is even the same like maybe they have white vinyl over the top of the panels. Did they borrow it or buy it? Beats me.

Scott is definately right though about the frame being different on punch.

Tim

jokerjason

Cardiff Giant

The Cardiff Giant was built by Brian Cardiff from Arnold Ca. Him and Dewey Middlecamp use to run around together with it, Dewey also drove the Skoal Bandit Cameo truck a few times in the mid 80's. The Giant was at alot of the NFPA truck pull shows on the west coast when Dave Mathews was the promoter. Dave also use to run ZZYZX motorsports out of Modesto.

Sinister '32

This is interesting because I too used to think C. Giant and HP were the same truck but it was Todd that convinced me a couple of years ago that they were different trucks. I was under the impression that Seth had bought C. Giant when it was ran is Skoal Crusher and Skoal Bandit but maybe he just leased it. Here's what we know now.

Cardiff built C. Giant in '83-'84. Magazine articles date back to '84.

C. Giant was repaired in a matter of days after the floating incident. I used to have a magazine article that covered this. They had it up and running and performing at a show just a few days later. IIRC, that's when the white showed up along the sides above the stripping. This happened in '85.

'85-'86 C. Giant is ran under the Skoal Crusher and Skoal Bandit names. As Todd recalls, this was not a permanent deal.

Also recall that C. Giant appears in a Mountain Dew commercial around this time as well.

'86-'87, Hawaiian Punch, the "19 Day Wonder" appears. Interestingly, the C. Giant/Bandit/Crusher seems to dissappear. Hmmmm, let's continue.

'87, As per Todd, Dalton buys HP and then runs it as Flying Eagle before selling it to Japan.

I think Todd is correct: Hawaiian Punch and Cardiff Giant were different trucks, BUT, parts of C. Giant (Body, running gear, etc) were used to make Hawaiian Punch. This would explain how Brian was able to put 'Punch together in 19 days.

Look at 'Punch's body. Same fender flares as C. Giant, they even partially cover the front turn signals on the updated '87 front end. But look at the cab, same trim and roof lights. Look at the bed, same bedrails and roll bar. I think Brian built a new frame and swapped most of the stuff from C. Giant over to create 'Punch.

I think we got this one, guys, thanks to Todd's experience with the team.

dave3BA

My only question would be: Why bother? Was there something wrong with Cardiff Giant's frame? Was Hawaiian Punch's frame more advanced?