Some VERY old school pictures

Steven

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Was digging around and came across a few pictures of old school trucks. Not sure of the year but it was definatly Bloomsburg. Enjoy...

Cale Putnam

Administrator
Site Admin
Every time I see Above-N-Beyond, I start to wish Pat would bring it back, even as only a part-time identity for Thrasher. That name would lend itself to so many cool paint schemes. Of course, Thrasher is just a twinge more intimidating ;)

C

Cmunds

cool pictures

does anyone have any info on these trucks? like who drives them ???

I like the old photos maybe everyone should post their old photos of the day on here!

Cale Putnam

Administrator
Site Admin
Top to bottom...

Pat Summa
Scott Stephens
Don Van Loo
Curt Fisher/Jon Breen
Wayne Smozanek
John Moore
Gene "Colt Cobra" Patterson

Steven

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Ok, excuse the spelling of names but as I remember...

Above N Beyond - Pat Summa
Auto Value - Scott Stephens
Bad Medicine - Don VanLoo
MicroMachines - John Breen
Nite Life - Scott Smozanek
No Problem - John Moore
Snake Byte - Gene Paterson (aka Colt Cobra)

BrianV

Old Pictures

My money goes on 1991 for the year. I think Night Life became Tropical Thunder in 1992, and all of the other paint schemes seem to match that year.

Brian_V

goleafsgo

awesome!! any more pics you have please share. great stuff,love the old school.

I was unaware that Pat use to run that truck,news to me...cool to know

Cale Putnam

Administrator
Site Admin
It's Micro Machine, you can tell by the Galoob logo (and by Night Life in the background of the MM pic).

Kouvre

It's definitely 1991 - I have the race on tape as an episode of Trucks and Tractor Power. IIRC, this was the last race ever for Night Life - Wayne Smozanek rolled the truck violently during qualifying and although he was able to make repairs to run in racing, the next time he ran the truck fully repaired it was renamed Tropical Thunder. This was also the same race where Auto Value King Krunch had an equally violent rollover and started a Series of Unfortunate Events for Scott on the Special Events tour that year.

Last edited:

SuddenImpact

Its awsome to see all the same buildings and everything around the fairgrounds but the monsters have changed so much, awsome pics.

CRASH'NBURN

wow, when i see these kind of old school monster truck pics it makes me realize how much advance these trucks are in technology now a days, and i love seeing old school pics there the best.

Gatorman

TeamBlackWidow;

Thanks so much for sharing these old school pics with us here. Always good to see them.

David

Jason Twite

Freelancer
Whoops I meant the truck behind Micro Machines. Its probably NiteLife afterall, must be a glare that created that line on it.

AvengerFan86

Race Team - Virginia Beach Beast
Jason thats Micro Machines behind Nightlife. Thats 91 because thats the year Nightlife rolled over.

MToldguy

Man, does that bring back some memories!! I to believe it was 91' because that is when the Snake Bite thing started. Could it be 90'? It has been a few bumps to the head since then!! I remember that we shot a centerspread for off-road mag. there also on the whole Snakebite thing. 91' also saw "Colt Cobra" noticed as a mover and shaker in the 4X4 world in 4-wheel mag. Something that has since never ever been duplicated by any other MT driver. Yes, I am braggin about it and I am proud to have been a part of something that many said would never amount to anything. One picture that is missing was of Porter in Carolina Crusher, he won that series that year didn't he? Thanks for bringing back some good memories..
"Colt"

Rainstorm410

Boy do i miss those days! Great memories, great trucks, good times. As much as i love this fast, light, and powerful generation of trucks, I miss the old shiny, chromed out, suped up, tricked out, hard bodied trucks of the old days. (tear rolls down cheek)

kreepy1

Hi all,
I tell you, I really loved that season of racing. It was just awsome. I'll get into trouble for saying this about Wayne Smozanec, but in my opinion, he just couldnt drive a monster truck. I mean some drivers have have a learning curve in those trucks but wow. I'm not saying I would be any better but even the 4 link tropical thunder!! I just dont think he was cut out to drive those trucks. There are other drivers in my opinion, but he is top on my list.
Kreepy1