Terrible Desert Racing Accident

Discussion in 'Community Lounge' started by #75race, Aug 16, 2010.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1

#75race

#75race

#75race

There was an accident yesterday (8/14/10) at an off-road race in Lucerne Valley, CA. A truck lost control and unfortunately got mixed in with some spectators, that were watching the race. Eight people are confirmed dead... Dozens more are injured. Lucerne Valley is close to my hometown of Barstow, which is also home to off-road events. I've been watching races in Lucerne since I was a little kid. If you're reading this, please say a prayer for the people involved, or at least keep them in good thoughts.

Probably the only sport that's just as high, perhaps even a little bit higher than monster trucks, at least for me, is off-road racing. I grew up in a family of off-roaders, and this tragedy really hits home for me, for I have never heard of anything this bad, especially so close to home. If any of you guys want to seek more info, your best bet is going to race-dezert.com, a board similar to this one. I'll post a link for you. Some of the "news reports" are unsatisfactory, according to some, but that's not the point. As I said before, please keep those involved in good spirits, for this is devastating to the sport.:(

The link:

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/85142-MDR-Lucerne-Race-Major-accident

Thanks again, guys...

- Nick Parker

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Aug 16, 2010 #2

Outlaw

Outlaw

Outlaw

i hope to not sound rude but it was a matter of time before something like this happened in desert racing or rally.
    seriously people stand way to close to the road side.
    with that outta the way I do send my condolences out to those affected

3. Aug 16, 2010 #3

stormrider_67

stormrider_67

stormrider_67

Saw this on the news... I regret even having to post on a situation like this. I see where Outlaw is coming from, but right now I am mourning for all involved.
    Regardless of safety holds and all that crap, its time to be selfless and think about the families involved.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to those in any way affected.

4. Aug 16, 2010 #4

Muddy

Muddy

Muddy

It's a terrible thing to have happend, and I'm sorry for the families. I've read around the internet that it's really nobodies fault in the incident. The promotor that puts on the event has very precise guidelines for fan safety, and they appear to have been broken. One of the rules was to be out at least 100 feet from the race track. They have stuff put up to tell you where that is, but it's like Rally...you really think people are going to listen?

I'm not trying to start anything, and Like I said, i'm terribly sad for those who lost loved ones in this incident, but it needs to be said that rule violations amongst the fans may have been the reason for such a high fatality count. I just truly hope and pray that the driver of the truck doesn't hold himself responsible for this, as I know he was very shaken up afterwards from what he saw.

5. Aug 16, 2010 #5

#75race

#75race

#75race

As sad and tragic as this is, I do agree with you guys on the 100 ft. rule, that should have been reinforced. What also makes this situation bad is now the eco-groups that are against the sanctioning of these events, have something to hold against us. But this really was just a freak accident. Down in Baja, the crowding is actually worse. There's a section in that part of the course called "zoo road". And sometimes people come within literally inches from the vehicles on the course. I did not expect anything like this to happen so close to home, for the rules usually are enforced.

One of my old friends, is the head of another sanctioning body called M.O.R.E. (Mojave Off-Road Racing Enthusiasts) based out of my hometown, Barstow CA, which is also home to races. M.O.R.E. is supposed to be scheduled for a race next month in Lucerne Valley, just as MDR did this past weekend. My concern is whether or not racing is gonna continue here in the high desert. I think it's clear that there may be some rule changes in the near future, as far as safety is concerned. Or at least current rules may be enforced. Only time will tell I guess...

6. Aug 16, 2010 #6

Jordan Robson

Jordan Robson

Jordan Robson

Promoters at fault. How many different times have we seen those rally cars go into crowds (specifically over in other countries)? We see it every single year. Why have we not learned from those? Why in gods name do you have 300+ fans standing 10 feet from the **** track? Those guys were going a good 60+ MPH OVER jumps at the same time. Nothing good was going to come out of that and its a crying shame that 8 people had to lose their loves because of it.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families effected, and the driver as well. This could not be an easy thing to deal with the rest of your life.

7. Aug 16, 2010 #7

Adam Connell

Adam Connell

Adam Connell

My prayers go out to those involved.

I have not seen the accident site, or how it was set up, but I have been to several races like this and other off road events where crowd control was simply not possible. Past a certain point, there is not much a promoter can do. This is simply a uncontrolled environment once you get away from the main areas.

Same goes for rally racing, you cannot control those crowds, it simply is not possible.

Back when I was promoting live music events (metal shows), we knew that we would always have injuries so we prepared for them. You cant control 500-1000 "kids" with As I lay Dying, or Norma Jean on stage, it simply isnt possible, and this was inside! I cannot imagine trying to control something as wild as a desert or rally event where alcohol was involved.

Like I said, my prayers go out to those involved, it's a terrible situation.

8. Aug 16, 2010 #8

Christian Riedel

Christian Riedel

Christian Riedel

When Rally America runs here in town for the Lake Superior Pro Rally http://www.lsprorally.com/, their policy is to designate spectator areas. If anyone, other than marshalls (which locals can sign up to do if they want to be closer to the action along the race) is seen along the course (they run sweep vehicles through before each stage) they refuse to run the stage and the spectator looks like an idiot and has a lot of people pissed off at them. Seems to have worked so far...

9. Aug 18, 2010 #9

RnW 13

RnW 13

RnW 13

There is an inherit danger that comes with desert racing like this.

I don't want to sound rude in any way, because I am not being rude, but honest, but, if you choose to stand 5 feet from a high horsepower professional racing truck doing atleast well over 60 mph or higher, you are accepting the risk of that vehicle striking you at some point if and when it ever looses control, especially when you know, and were propably told not to be standing and watching from the area you are in at the moment that happens. This incident is very much, the spectators fault, because its the simple case of "Don't go where you do not belong".

The unfortunate part of events like this are the lack of spectator control. Like mentioned above, especially in the United States, there should be designated spectator viewing areas, however, the lack of money to hire patrol is the big factor. Dakar as it used to go through Africa had the soldiers of certain towns and cities keep people back away from the track to avoid such incidents.

Its a shame because this is yet another black eye to off road racing. This is one of those times were the right person needs to step up and defend it, just like Rich did with Monster Trucks.