The Klone Kong paint color poll thread!

Discussion in 'Old Skool Monster Trucks' started by Brandon Clark, Jul 19, 2012.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

?

Which color should Jeff Dane paint Klone Kong?

1. Red.

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Blue.

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. I don't care, I'm so excited I can't see straight!

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. Jul 19, 2012 #1

Brandon Clark

Brandon Clark

Brandon Clark

Benchracer Extraordinaire

As an easier way of keeping track of color votes, let's just make a poll!

2. Jul 19, 2012 #2

MadRat

MadRat

MadRat

Bi-color : Is left side red and right side blue an option?

3. Jul 19, 2012 #3

skytruckerjr

skytruckerjr

skytruckerjr

orignally, Cudahy WI, Currently Waddell AZ
    I was thinking the samething MadRat

4. Jul 20, 2012 #4

tonka tester

tonka tester

tonka tester

i would like to see it in the blue, usa1 isnt blue anymore, and bearfoot is long gone.... so it wont be "just like all the rest" anymore colorwise... and it looked better in blue anyway :p

5. Jul 20, 2012 #5

OldSchoolDude

OldSchoolDude

OldSchoolDude

I'm very surprised red has more votes so far. KK made a name for itself with the blue/silver paint scheme. It was very first monster truck I ever saw in person. It still had the 48s on it at the time. It's like this... when it was blue & silver, KK was a dominant force in the MT industry. In fact, if you compare it with 48s, to any other monster with 48s at the time, it was pretty much a "no brainer". KK was probably unbeatable in just about any kind of competition. Even after switching to 66s some time in 83, it would still rival just about anything else out there at the time. However, monster trucks went through an extremely fast evoloution in 84 & 85. Just 2 years earlier, most trucks were still running 48s. By 85 though, there were many trucks popping up with 74" tires, planetary hubs, giant supercharged engines, etc... This is the time frame when KK switched to the red/silver paint job, but no other major improvements were done. It was basically being obsoleted by the rest of the industry by the time it was painted red & silver. Even Jeff Dane was already working on Awesome Kong at that point, and it made a huge leap forward in sheer strength and power over the original. So my point is... why go with red and silver to celebrate a truck that was on its way out, when you could paint it blue & silver, and remember/celebrate the truck when it was at its peak.

6. Jul 20, 2012 #6

Kong

Kong

Kong

If you go to the International Monster Truck Museum & Hall of Fame facebook page you will find that BLUE has 52 votes vs 19 for RED.
    http://www.facebook.com/MonsterMuseum

7. Jul 20, 2012 #7

OldSchoolDude

OldSchoolDude

OldSchoolDude

Sweet. I like their pole better. (lol)

8. Jul 21, 2012 #8

modeltruckshop

modeltruckshop

modeltruckshop

The truck was completely rebuilt inside and out,not just repainted. It got a straight rail military frame (like the version being built now) it later got a gas motor while still in the maroon scheme.

9. Jul 22, 2012 #9

theace27

theace27

theace27

Somewhere between Helle River and London, Ontario
    Pretty sure it is a done deal that Jeff Dane is painting the truck red and silver, that is why he chose to build it with the straight rail military frame, he wants to make this clone very, very accurate so I can't see him painting the truck blue at this point. Like I said in the other thread, blue, red doesn't matter to me, it is awesome that Jeff is doing this and I feel he is doing it as much for "US" as for him. Jeff is having a good time building this from what he tells us. Kinda neat, Steve Hurt was talking with Steve Dane and Steve said that most of the tools that Jeff is using are the same tools he used when the original truck was built.

10. Jul 23, 2012 #10

Paul curtis

Paul curtis

Paul curtis

That frame ended up being the frame for Kong 3, which just makes its extreme, if shortlived, competitiveness in 1990 so astonishing.

11. Jul 23, 2012 #11

dave3BA

dave3BA

dave3BA

I would like to know exactly when King Kong was rebuilt. I remember hearing a story that Frankenstein replaced a truck at the infamous Return of the Monster Trucks show(s), but I don't recall hearing a reason or what truck it was. I've always wondered if King Kong was originally supposed to be in that race (or Bear Foot). Just an interesting thought.

12. Jul 24, 2012 #12

Tim Dudley

Tim Dudley

Tim Dudley

I wonder if it was maybe Monster Mash because it was in the first one too...Just a thought...

13. Jul 24, 2012 #13

theace27

theace27

theace27

Somewhere between Helle River and London, Ontario
    Dave, I am pretty sure Kong was re-done with the straight rail frame and repainted red and silver in mid to late 1984. The truck was redone and featured in Monster Trucks II magazine. Rich Scott or Steve Hurt would probably be the best to chime in here with an actual date. My guess is mid-late 84 just based on its feature in the magazine.

14. Jul 24, 2012 #14

modeltruckshop

modeltruckshop

modeltruckshop

The Peterson's feature in the December 1983 issue has a small picture of the rebuild in progress on page 62. Even though the article is on the original version it mentions the rebuild,straight frame etc. So that would make the rebuild early to mid 83 at the latest. Steve