The Rebuild of Mud Hog

GearhartEng

You are welcome Russ!!! Glad to see them go back to you!

- - - Updated - - -

Russ the frame that was under Mud Hog when you wrecked in Silver Lake, where did that end up going to? Was wondering if you had any other pictures of the truck up at Silver Lake? Thanks
You are welcome Russ!!! Glad to see them go back to you!

- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR

Come on Mike don't make me relive that horrific day, I will have to take tranquilizers in order to calm the flash backs LOL.Really we where vary lucky that no one got hurt my wife and 5 year old son was with me.It landed on my wife side,the window was down and her shoulder and head were laying on the sand.Had to stand on her chest to lift my son out the drivers window.The tire that broke off was flat moving,would have killed some one on a 4 wheeler if it hit them.We were VARY lucky,the frame I cut up saving the cross members.Will post more pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Russ thanks for the updates... I like how you allways think outside the box. Moving the upper inner mounting for the four link bars out looks great. Will that help controll body roll without needin sway bars?
THANK YOU,I see you and I think alike,another benefit did not think of at the time I did the 4link with using top loader axles can move the top link bars to the sides of the diff. So the top links are not setting on top of diff. and the link bar will be on the outside of the driveshaft.

Last edited:

theace27

Russ, didn't mean to stir up any bad emotions. Was not my intention man. Glad to know no one was hurt in the accident. Very lucky my friend. Looking forward to you updates on the rebuild. Again, my sincerest apologies on my question.

GearhartEng

Russ, didn't mean to stir up any bad emotions. Was not my intention man. Glad to know no one was hurt in the accident. Very lucky my friend. Looking forward to you updates on the rebuild. Again, my sincerest apologies on my question.
Mike I am sorry, I was kidding just trying to ad some humor to a bad day
and how lucky we were because it could have been much worse.Do not give it a second thought.

Jus Show N Off

This is a pretty incredible thread to have going on here. I love seeing the updates and reading some of your stories. Thanks for taking the time to keep this thread updated, Russ. I certainly appreciate it and I'm sure about a thousand other people do as well!

THANKS!

GearhartEng

002.jpg
Trivia Time
What monster truck ran these air filters in the late 80's during a point series race making one of the longest jumps during a race at that time?

GearhartEng

- - - Updated - - -

Any updates Russ?
Yes,started a new frame so I can transfer the rear engine,and super duty body over to the new frame.And use the frame that I was working on before the crash at silver lake,for the Mudhog body. Originally was building the different Mudhog frame so it had 4link all the way around.Will post pictures soon,also will see what pictures have of silver lake,THANKS for the interest in a not very well known truck.

modeltruckshop

Hope you keep going with it Russ. Some of us know there was even more to it then a magazine cover(even though that was impressive!!) Keep your project moving faster than mine at least!

GearhartEng

Hope you keep going with it Russ. Some of us know there was even more to it then a magazine cover(even though that was impressive!!) Keep your project moving faster than mine at least!
THANKS Steve ,I know where you are coming from,I also spent the last 20 years devoted to my kids activities. It is the top thing on my bucket list,you need to start a build thread on your piece of history.

Sinister '32

By who's standard? If you are a true fan of monster truck history you know who Russ Gearhart and Mud Hog is! :)
If I might add: Mud Hog was on the cover of Fourwheeler and also featured in a technical article of Four Wheel and Off Road. It may not have toured the country, but it did receive national recognition via the magazines. Aside from maybe Bigfoot, it is the only Monster I can remember being in 4WOR's tech articles. This was a pretigious achievement at the time as 4WOR's Tech Articles were typically reserved for the latest OEM advancements or the forefront of desert racing vehicles. Mud Hog featured a triangulated 4-link suspension before Taurus and Bigfoot 8. It foreshadowed the direction Monster Truck technology was heading.

GearhartEng

If I might add: Mud Hog was on the cover of Fourwheeler and also featured in a technical article of Four Wheel and Off Road. It may not have toured the country, but it did receive national recognition via the magazines. Aside from maybe Bigfoot, it is the only Monster I can remember being in 4WOR's tech articles. This was a pretigious achievement at the time as 4WOR's Tech Articles were typically reserved for the latest OEM advancements or the forefront of desert racing vehicles. Mud Hog featured a triangulated 4-link suspension before Taurus and Bigfoot 8. It foreshadowed the direction Monster Truck technology was heading.
THANKS Scott,that really means alot to me,knowing that you are one of the the most knowledgeable people I know of on the technical aspect through out the history of monster trucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, more pics! Lol. Good to see another coming back to life. Are u getting a new bed with the okd cab?
Yes like before just used the bed sides,will be getting new ones ,THANKS.

modeltruckshop

THANKS Steve ,I know where you are coming from,I also spent the last 20 years devoted to my kids activities. It is the top thing on my bucket list,you need to start a build thread on your piece of history.
Thanks Russ. You know how it is first hand. We only wrestle 10 months a year that leaves two for trucks right? I'll start a thread when it becomes interesting enough to post how 'bout? Then everyone can tell me how I should be doing it too. HA

modeltruckshop

Here is something I made for Russ as rent for storing my monster! Hope he doesn't mind me sharing. A few of us went there yesterday for a little history of monster trucks bull session. We had a great time of course. (p.s. yes Russ we wrestled today) :)

Thanks again Russ!

GearhartEng

What are the magazine dates featuring Mud Hog?
Cover feature magazine January 1988,suspension issue March 1988,top 10 trucks of the 80s December 1989,all were Fourwheeler magazine.If you go to my web site,Gearhart Engineering.com,will see some of it,THANKS Jimmy