The Rebuild of Mud Hog

GearhartEng

Pics of frame upside down on table working on it for rear engine, lenco transmission super duty body Mudhog truck. Main frame rails in a diamond shape increasing lateral strength. Also placing the main rails directly under the main cage hoop. Another benefit it allows to offset engine from center-line for more drive shaft clearance on the top loader axles.

tromoly

May I just say that I want your welding table, having both holes T-slots would have made several of my past projects so much easier.

Keep us posted on the (re)build as time allows, always cool to see progress being made.

GearhartEng

May I just say that I want your welding table, having both holes T-slots would have made several of my past projects so much easier.

Keep us posted on the (re)build as time allows, always cool to see progress being made.
THANKS,table is actually a bed from a large milling machine.

theace27

Hey Russ, was just curious if you had any updates on things. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the original tractor tires from the Mud Hog. Where were you able to locate those?

GearhartEng

Hey Russ, was just curious if you had any updates on things. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the original tractor tires from the Mud Hog. Where were you able to locate those?
Yes have the frame up on stands,playing around with different engine offsets and rotating t cases to line up driveshafts.Like how making the frame taper out wider in the center allows me to move stuff around and lower the engine with the top loader axles.Will post pics soon,the man that bought the tractor tires from me years ago called one day out of the blue and ask if I would like to buy them back.Must have been fate rims only he had sold the tires already,THANKS for asking.

GearhartEng

Picture from front. Showing the angle of quick change case, intending to increase the angle.
Side view showing the position of the engine in the frame. Plan on clocking rear T-case up higher, which will flatten out driveshaft angle and will also allow me to lower engine farther if I decide to.

Rear view showing the position of the engine set 4 inches off center, allowing more driveshaft to oil pan clearance with the top loader axle.

theace27

Always great to see progress shots Russ! This is Mudhog 2 right? Mudhog 1 will have the motor in the front still correct?

GearhartEng

Always great to see progress shots Russ! This is Mudhog 2 right? Mudhog 1 will have the motor in the front still correct?
Yes that is correct,the frame i pulled the rear engine and trans out of started in the early 90s was building to put the Mudhog body on.That is the plan once again,and the Super Duty body will go on this frame,thanks.