Tractor Tire Cut tires question????

Discussion in 'Monster Mayhem Discussion Forum' started by 72ZEBRA, Apr 10, 2008.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1

72ZEBRA

72ZEBRA

72ZEBRA

Raised in Lincoln/Warsaw Missouri. Currently in L
    How well do the tractor pull style cut tires work?? I know they look really good and it takes a bunch of wieght off but I havent heard any comments about them good or bad. I have noticed that Kohler ran them for a while but then went back to regular uncut tires. ????
    [​IMG]

2. Apr 10, 2008 #2

72ZEBRA

72ZEBRA

72ZEBRA

Raised in Lincoln/Warsaw Missouri. Currently in L
    Another pic of one from Ross' Monster Blog
    [​IMG]

3. Apr 10, 2008 #3

Adam Connell

Adam Connell

Adam Connell

I believe Jim cut one of his during a freestyle... I dont know how thin they take them down, but they look light as **** to me. I would be interested to see a set of the sudden impact tires cut like that. They would be great for outdoor/non concrete events, but take those suckers on any paved surface and you can kiss them goodbye. I would like to see a set of those on the back of foot with those cleats in the front.

I like the design because it leaves the sidewall intact, yet cuts a ton of weight.

Now here is the next question... could you balance a monster truck tire using this method?? Or at least get them to roll better than our tires currently do?

Anything to cut down on the vibration at speed would be awesome!

4. Apr 11, 2008 #4

KRMc

KRMc

KRMc

Up until late 2002 I think Jim ran a set of custom cut Good Years solely because of the weight advantage. His whole philosophy with the beginning of the truck was light and fast. Around late 2002-2003 he replaced the rear cut Good Years with a set of custom cut Firestones which were MUCH heavier (probably 350-450 pounds heavier each).

I don't think the new tires running on the truck are uncut, they look to be lathed down because the lugs don't look nearly as deep as stock Goodyears, and the corners of the lug patterns are knocked down quite a bit.

Personally, I think the weight would be about the same (probably just a bit heavier) but overall the look of the lathed tires looks more clean to me, it could very well just be personal preference, I could definitely find out though.

5. Apr 11, 2008 #5

CPE MT

CPE MT

CPE MT

Edited since it's the same reference as listed above. Those tires were cut on a jig originally designed to modify tires for pullers.

6. Apr 11, 2008 #6

Adam Connell

Adam Connell

Adam Connell

There is another set floating around on "Big Gun" that came out a few years ago... dont know where that truck went but I believe it was in the 7000lb category... they had problems with the aluminum axle parts and I think were running ford 9in 3rd members... I think big gun was the name, but Im not totally sure right now.

7. Apr 11, 2008 #7

InsanoRacer

InsanoRacer

InsanoRacer

yea thats the blue truck above

8. Apr 11, 2008 #8

Adam Connell

Adam Connell

Adam Connell

woops my browser didn't bring up the picture! thats the one i was thinking of.

9. Apr 11, 2008 #9

tromoly

tromoly

tromoly

Hey Zebra, I'm getting something about the freeserver account not allowing hotlinking for images in the picture in your first thread, any chance of it being viewable from another source? Thanks.

10. Apr 11, 2008 #10

thelegendaryone

thelegendaryone

thelegendaryone

just right click on it and select view image