Welding link tabs to cast?

adamsoffroad

Anytime you weld to cast you should preheat it and you should use a nickel type rod if it's stick Though I have used 7018 and had good luck. If it's mig you definitely need to preheat and use a specific wire. I can't remember it's designation at the moment. also it helps to make all the tabs with a large surface to weld too. if ya can weld your tabs to a piece of plate that can be welded to the cast to gain a larger area to spread the load.

Milanmetal

what housings? What material?
Rockwell ps 101...very similar to the 250s.

- - - Updated - - -

Anytime you weld to cast you should preheat it and you should use a nickel type rod if it's stick Though I have used 7018 and had good luck. If it's mig you definitely need to preheat and use a specific wire. I can't remember it's designation at the moment. also it helps to make all the tabs with a large surface to weld too. if ya can weld your tabs to a piece of plate that can be welded to the cast to gain a larger area to spread the load.
Thanks Adam. I would rather mig them so I will find out what wire it is from my welding supplier.

T-Rex

Here is what I use around here for MT projects and farm equipment. esab 7100 ultra dual shield follow the directions and it will be just fine!

who me

Don't know on the mig end but always go the route adam uses. Preheat and HEAVY nickle rod
I learned from Jim Kramer (when I asked how they got the welds to work on the ZF axles)