What do you guys think of the wide race lanes?

Don

Just wondering what you guys think when they put a car length ways beside regular crusch cars to make the lanes and ramps wider.

I think it requires alot less talent to run the track but I guess it makes the races faster as the drivers have alot more room for error.

We have a name for them ramps but it's probbaly not politacly correct.

Also whats your thoughts on no turning poles?

Don

Destroyerfan

Personally i like the lanes the way they were before too, just the one lane of five or so cars side by side. It seems like they're set up more for freestyle now than racing.

I also am not the biggest fan of the turning cars either. I think it takes much more talent to go around a tight turn with out knocking a pole over rather than just crushing a car. Even if there aren't going to be poles there, there should still be a penalty for hitting it. But i do miss the turning poles.

It just seems to me that everything is set up more for freestyle now. Its more of a race course built into a freestyle course, instead of a freestyle course built into a race course, and i don't really like that. It seems like the race lanes are built more for freestyle now with the sideways car which could be used for crossthreading and other things, and the turning cars are easy to add to use for the freestyle track being that they are ALREADY on the track. That actually sounded better before i said it, but you get the idea lol.

Cale Putnam

Administrator
Site Admin
I may be alone on this but I personally think both the extended ramps and the car turning markers are both positive improvements. For the ramps, anything that reduces the judgement calls of the 2 and 2 rule is a huge benefit - that type of rule leads into consistency issues with when and how its called, and it's also the type of thing that may not be immediately apparent to the live audience when a hairline violation negates a truck's otherwise obvious victory. Does it take less skill? Sure, but it also means that good races aren't ruined because one truck's right tire was 2 inches off the ramp.

As to the turning poles, again, I hate seeing great races mean nothing because one truck sent a pole over with the lightest of contract. The cars are a much more formidable opponent than a piece of corrugated tube, and I think that makes mistakes more costly (and more entertaining) as well. I don't think driver skill will be too affected by the change to cars long term, because eventually guys are going to figure out how to use the cars to their advantage, and that's really going to open up some new skill sets.

Jjd92186

Personally I like the regular size racing lanes and the turning poles. I think that you should be penalized for leaving the race track sort of speak. I like the regular size lanes better because I think it shows more driver skill to hit the ramp directly. Overall I think they should go back to regular racing lanes and bring back the turning poles.

jeb134

I don't really care about the car stacks either way, in fact having cars as "obstacles" for racing is kind of pointless these days. However I do like the cars instead of turn polls. I thought a 5 second penalty for taking a turn a tad to tight in a 12 foot wide truck was a bit much, so having a car there in my opinion makes for a better "penalty" that'll slow you down and it makes keeps the show moving along so the track crew doesn't have to keep running out and resetting them.

Last edited:

DanDeFalco

i think the track designs are horribly lazy. It's a boring track to watch and way too easy. They need to go back to better track designs.

AvengerFan86

Race Team - Virginia Beach Beast
i think the track designs are horribly lazy. It's a boring track to watch and way too easy. They need to go back to better track designs.
Amen!
I dont even care about racing anymore after the driving skill has been taken away to a point. I dont think that the tracks are up to par but then the track makers have to build the racing track around the FS stacks. The USHRA's ramps a a bad idea you take some of the skill involed with racing when you make it easier to hit the ramps anyone with a half a brian and good eye sight could hit a 20 foot ramp. Also I dont like the turning poles replaced by cars as it stands now a dubble or single car doesn't work for me try using a triple apex and use 3 cars per turn. But I do like the poles being gone due to down time for placing back poles after being hit by drivers. I dont think oyu can make racing beter in domes with out taking away form FS.
I'm not asking for any over unders or MTC style layouts just amke racing as much as a show as FS as a fan.

72ZEBRA

My opinion, I AM SO SICK OF SEEING TRUCKS GO IN A CIRCLE AND CROSSING THE FINISH LINES ON OPPOSITE SIDES GOING OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS. Ok, got that out of my system. Now, get rid of cars, build dirt ramps, IT JUST MAKES TO MUCH FREAKING SENSE!!! Make interesting race tracks. Not a criss-cross maze, but simple J hooks with some interesting twists. Throw in some table tops, put a mudpit that you have to jump or you get muddy. I dont like turning poles, use the freestyle cars for the racing turning poles. And since I want dirt ramps, we can make the wide as needed to make the racing fast but still not too easy.

Now all I have to do is buy FELD and implement my ideas!!!!!! WOOT WOOT!!

Jus Show N Off

Honestly... I'm going to go against the grain here...

While I agree that current MJ tracks tend to take away from the racing aspect - I like the wider ramps and the persistent use of Chicago/St Louis/Cyclone style race courses. I feel like these tracks allow for all drivers that run them to develop a good feel for the tracks - and the wider ramps allow more trucks to make a clean pass.

At the same time I totally see the opposing side - the wider ramps and the introduction of cars for turning poles essentially makes racing free of errors. You can mess up, but the 5 second penalty is now rarely possible. When it comes down to it, I'd prefer more complex racing tracks, with narrow ramps to exploit driver skill - but that won't happen any time soon.

I'm all for the progression of the sport, and honestly I'd love to see a freestyle tour and a racing tour implemented - I think doing so would hep to improve both aspects of the show - but it would improve racing especially. Maybe potentially having 2 distinct shows could allow for letting the side of the sport back in that most of us old schoolers still long for - unique and show worthy trucks that are too unique and 1-off to blow on a purposeful flip.

I'm a bit drunk thought so I don't care about making sense - I just love Monsters. Its like the Marathon today. I've watched 8 out of the 9 60 minute shows, but I still watched them all again for the spectacle. Anything dealing with monsters when promoted properly is full of win. :)

InsanoRacer

they need more tracks like the anaheim track

i seen a figure 8 design for a stadium once.... wonder how that would work

Jordan Robson

My opinion, I AM SO SICK OF SEEING TRUCKS GO IN A CIRCLE AND CROSSING THE FINISH LINES ON OPPOSITE SIDES GOING OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS IT SUCKS. Ok, got that out of my system. Now, get rid of cars, build dirt ramps, IT JUST MAKES TO MUCH FREAKING SENSE!!! Make interesting race tracks. Not a criss-cross maze, but simple J hooks with some interesting twists. Throw in some table tops, put a mudpit that you have to jump or you get muddy. I dont like turning poles, use the freestyle cars for the racing turning poles. And since I want dirt ramps, we can make the wide as needed to make the racing fast but still not too easy.

I take it you think it sucks?

:p

north star

i highly dislike the wide lanes, it makes it way too easy even if the track set up they use isnt easy enough, i mean how much easier can they make it for them? just go in circles without any jumps...oops thats the tuff trucks, i also dont under stand why they condensed the lane down to three cars instead of five, also i dislike how the rows of cars have dirt ramps at each end of them, takes away the crushing part of it in my opinion,

as for the turning poles, im 50/50 on it, i like how the turning poles kept the drivers honest and penalized those who hit them, but in sense the cars penalize those who hit them too, i like both and it wouldnt hurt to see either of them used

Tim Dudley

Going be honest here...I've always wonder if USHRA put that extra wide car there to help their trucks. Because if you watch 70% of the time if that car was not there they would be DQ for only having one tire over the ramp.

I don't mean to start anything if I do. But if you go back and watch its between 60 - 70% Feld trucks driver side tire is running over that extra car.

Your friend,
Tim

starscream24

Since because everone said everything that was on my mind. Let's make this short and sweet. Combine the Freestyle that MJ has; with the racing of MLMT and you would have the absolute best god [email protected] racing product in the industry:D.

HighFlyer

I may be alone on this but I personally think both the extended ramps and the car turning markers are both positive improvements. For the ramps, anything that reduces the judgement calls of the 2 and 2 rule is a huge benefit - that type of rule leads into consistency issues with when and how its called, and it's also the type of thing that may not be immediately apparent to the live audience when a hairline violation negates a truck's otherwise obvious victory. Does it take less skill? Sure, but it also means that good races aren't ruined because one truck's right tire was 2 inches off the ramp.

As to the turning poles, again, I hate seeing great races mean nothing because one truck sent a pole over with the lightest of contract. The cars are a much more formidable opponent than a piece of corrugated tube, and I think that makes mistakes more costly (and more entertaining) as well. I don't think driver skill will be too affected by the change to cars long term, because eventually guys are going to figure out how to use the cars to their advantage, and that's really going to open up some new skill sets.
Honestly... I'm going to go against the grain here...

While I agree that current MJ tracks tend to take away from the racing aspect - I like the wider ramps and the persistent use of Chicago/St Louis/Cyclone style race courses. I feel like these tracks allow for all drivers that run them to develop a good feel for the tracks - and the wider ramps allow more trucks to make a clean pass.

At the same time I totally see the opposing side - the wider ramps and the introduction of cars for turning poles essentially makes racing free of errors. You can mess up, but the 5 second penalty is now rarely possible. When it comes down to it, I'd prefer more complex racing tracks, with narrow ramps to exploit driver skill - but that won't happen any time soon.

I'm all for the progression of the sport, and honestly I'd love to see a freestyle tour and a racing tour implemented - I think doing so would hep to improve both aspects of the show - but it would improve racing especially. Maybe potentially having 2 distinct shows could allow for letting the side of the sport back in that most of us old schoolers still long for - unique and show worthy trucks that are too unique and 1-off to blow on a purposeful flip.

I'm a bit drunk thought so I don't care about making sense - I just love Monsters. Its like the Marathon today. I've watched 8 out of the 9 60 minute shows, but I still watched them all again for the spectacle. Anything dealing with monsters when promoted properly is full of win. :)

I agree I agree I agree. Personally I would like to see the return of J-Hook tracks. Don't really care either way about the width of the racing lanes, but I love the cars as turning poles. Way better in my opinion. I would just like some different track set ups, bring back St. Louis style and J-Hook tracks. With the exception of the same old chicago style though, I'm happy with the Monster Jam track set ups right now.

thelegendaryone

hah, hah, hah,

stormrider_67

How about meeting half-way:
-> wide racing jump + turning poles (harder to corner, less concentration on ramp)
-> shorter racing jump + cars (easier to corner, more concentration on ramp, though hitting a car could mess you up bad)

I like the wide racing lanes with turning poles myself. Having to determine if the tires made the ramp can be controversial, the wide lanes can eliminate that. If they trucks don't make the ramp, they are in for a world of hurt and thats enough punishment. I guess leaving the poles legitimizes the race somewhat in my eyes, it takes skill to maneuver the poles and skill to keep it straight and floor it over the finish line.
Then again, I'm just a fan.