Wheel tethers questions.

Don

How many companys are selling them and what is the price?

What is the ruling standard on them? In otherword is there a cable thickness rule and is it the same for all promotors?

Thanks Don

72ZEBRA

They better be!! I got child support to pay!! Send me a set for testing and I will put your sticker on my truck!! You can write it off on your taxes!! WOOT WOOT!!

Overkill

Hey Guys,

We are currently discussing wheel tethers/restraint systems over in the MTRA member forum (http://forum.mtra.us/). We are attempting to establish minimum specifications in order to establish an effective rule. So teams, please let us know what has worked for you and what has not. Your input can make our industry a safer one and will be appreciated. Thanks

Marty G.
MTRA Advisor

Steven

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Unfortunatly the MTRA forum is only accessable to members only. Can't even view the forum.

CPE MT

You guys can always join.
I said before that having to pay just for the opportunity to offer suggestions to better the sport is about the dumbest thing possible. It still is.

I will continue to donate my time and experience to teams interested in changes and improving their trucks.

BobT

Have you asked anyone to post your opinion or insight on wheel restraints? That would be free. Just post your thoughts here for free. I am sure they wouldn't turn you down. I am not currently a member and they know my opinions. I sent emails or call people.

Christian Riedel

I said before that having to pay just for the opportunity to offer suggestions to better the sport is about the dumbest thing possible. It still is.
X2, except I was dumb enough to pay my money. Hey, you can't knock it till you try it I guess. Besides, no one even uses that forum, its usually like trying to have a conversation with yourself.

Overkill

Ok, I'll take the bait.

The reality is reasonably simple..... Until there is unity, there will be disorder. One person alone trying to "fix" the safety issues which exist within our industry is a bit like the boy sticking his finger in the leaking dam. He may stop one leak but two pop up somewhere else. The only way to plug all the holes is for all the people who share the desire to stop the leaks to work together.

We all (including the board members) agree that the MTRA is not perfect. But we are trying. However we can't do it alone. I have been one of the most outspoken critics of the MTRA but having been afforded a view from both sides I now see that the blame does not solely lie with the administration. An equal percentage of the blame falls upon the membership. A few of us have tried on numerous occasions to solicit member and non-member participation. However these requests seem to fall on deaf ears (Christian has seen this first hand). Complacency always seems to rule the day.

The point is, we are not asking for your money. We are asking for your participation. Don?t simply sit back and wait for someone else to fix the problems. Be part of the solution.

Having said that?. I have proposed the addition of a new section in the MTRA forum which would be free and open to all. This would give those of you (like Brett) who believe you have something to offer a free direct line to open communication with the board and membership. Would anyone here be interested in participating in such a forum?

Marty G.
MTRA Advisor

CPE MT

One question and one observation from an outsider:

- With the new changes in place within the MTRA, does the current MTRA rulebook match the current Feld one? If it doesn't, the MTRA has failed. If it matches it and exceeds it some in areas, that's great. The 1st step towards unity would be to have standardized rules package.

- It's my personal opinion that there is a sense of a "join or else" attitude when it comes to proposing/debating MTRA ideas. Stating "You guys can always join" as a response is the last thing that would make me want to join any club/organization.

That being said, I have no issue with having a MTRA members-only forum. What's needed in addition to that is open discussion between members and non-members, exactly what starting a thread (with specific topic) here would do. I also know that you would get all kinds of ideas/suggestions (good and bad), and may realistically use only 10% of those ideas. That 10% can then be further discussed within the MTRA-specific board, but may include ideas that weren't originally thought about.

All I'm really trying to say is that there may be non-MTRA members who have good alternative ideas on some of the areas that you're currently discussing. You have my full respect Marty, but one person can't do it alone.

Last edited:

Overkill

Guys,

These are all valid concerns many of which I shared when George approached me about helping him set things on the right path. We had grand ideas and knew that it would be an up hill battle. However the key to success was greater participation on the part of the industry as a whole.

My justification for accepting George?s request was this. I firmly believe that the industry needs universal safety standards. And establishment of these standards requires research and administration. Granted, FELD is highly safety oriented with very progressive safety standards. However they are not an independent and open organization. The industry needs one body which is objective and open to all. And the MTRA is the closest thing to this which exists today.

So if we truly wanted to make a difference and make the industry a safer place, the options open to us were, start from ground zero and assemble a new organization, or push the MTRA to properly fill this role. The later seemed to be the more expedient option.

Though it might appear that nothing is being done, there are in fact serious issues being addressed. Unfortunately there are sensitivities which prevent me from discussing them at this point but I am confident that much of this information will be able to be shared soon.

A couple of things which I can speak of currently being researched are safety issues regarding Diesel Powered Monster Trucks and Wheel Restraint Systems.

With the parties involved I assure you that our rules will mirror those of FELD. And our goal is to once again move to the forefront in the development of safety standards in the hope that we can work with all promoters including FELD to raise the bar of safety.

But again, for us to have any chance at success we need participation (even from non-members). Lets all work together for this unified goal. Thanks

Marty G.
MTRA Advisor

CPE MT

What I never figured out is why the current MTRA rules aren't simply adjusted to mirror the current Feld rules. It's great to talk about all the things planned to make it better, but when your own rules aren't even leading the industry you need to look solely at your organization (or lack of). Feld has a huge fleet of trucks that provide great component feedback, so I see no reason why their current rules can't be adapted at least as a MTRA baseline.

Mirroring the rulebooks should be a 30 second decision, and any team/member that votes against doing so isn't there to advance the industry, only their personal agenda.

Once the rulebooks match, THEN (and only then) the MTRA can set about being what they should have been all along, a safety organization looking at new innovations for the industry.

FLA Trk Fan

Can the MTRA tell us where we can buy wheel tethers and their cost? Because that is what this thread was supposed to be about.

roadragemt

not exactly

the thread was to get views on the requirements of the tethers not just to know pricing on them..

most of us independents cant afford to just buy everything that is made so we have to see the standards and make them ourselves..

as far as clarks go call patrick,or holman,or i believe suppen impact up and get a price if thats all u want to know..

most the systems out there i believe have 3/8 plate top plate and 3/8 plate ring with 1/2 inch cable.in my opinion this is satisfactory cause it does its job,it takes the force of impact when the tire comes off and slows it to a minium or a complete stop instead of shooting wildly into the crowd.

Steven

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
I have my own reasons for not joining again, though I hold high hopes that would sway me otherwise for the coming future. In fact the week prior to the tradgedy George and I spoke of holding a north east inspection/school/get together up at my place.

I would welcome a free and moderated section of the MTRA forum and would even say we could offer a direct link from here to there for those interested.

EdCFP

Wheel Tethers

Don we have not set any specifications because there is no "industry standard" as of yet.

Dan Patrick has some - Greg Adams has some - others are building their own, and frankly we know how innovative you guys are.......... so why limit you to someone elses ideas.

A zip tie is not going to work, must be something we / or anybody can see that would be substancial enough to hold that wheel from exiting the chassis. We are concerned about our fans and customers, the venue, and our crews on the floor. We in our office have not come up with specifications - only suggestions.

We are MTRA. MTRA has not come up with a rule yet. When that happens we will adapt same. Until then please come up with your own ideas from someone elses and let's strive to be better.

My suggestion was get one of the smartest guys in this business MARTY GARZA to design and develope and I know Marty is working on something.

Best news is when we told the trucks we were booking they must have a device on their truck to stop their wheels from coming off (ala wheel tether) they never said no - everyone is in agreement to resolve this problem.

There you have it.... this is currently where my company is on this issue.

Ed Beckley
Checkered Flag Productions
www.checkeredflagproductions.com

Overkill

What I never figured out is why the current MTRA rules aren't simply adjusted to mirror the current Feld rules. It's great to talk about all the things planned to make it better, but when your own rules aren't even leading the industry you need to look solely at your organization (or lack of). Feld has a huge fleet of trucks that provide great component feedback, so I see no reason why their current rules can't be adapted at least as a MTRA baseline.

Mirroring the rulebooks should be a 30 second decision, and any team/member that votes against doing so isn't there to advance the industry, only their personal agenda.

Once the rulebooks match, THEN (and only then) the MTRA can set about being what they should have been all along, a safety organization looking at new innovations for the industry.
Brett,

I wish it were that simple. A factor which we cannot lose sight of is the fact that new rules typically cost members money. Therefore we cannot simply make arbitrary rule changes without giving them a chance to voice their opinion in such matters (that was the old way of doing things).

The situation with FELD is quite different. They are the promoter therefore if you want to play on their playground you abide by their rules. Plain and simple.

With the new MTRA structure when a new proposition is made the board must present a case for the need for such action. The proposition then goes up for a vote. If it passes the rule is then implemented.

With CFP being proactive and requiring wheel restrains for 2010 it seems logical that this rule will be amended without objection in Dec. at the annual meeting. This is why we are requesting assistance in refining our required specifications. With this addition our rule books will be virtually identical. That is phase 1. But again, things are in motion which I believe will move the MTRA to the forefront of the safety arena. But the process could be sped along with greater participation.

Simply paying for a membership does not equate to participation. I live by a simple rule, I would never ask anyone to do something I would not be willing to do myself. So rather than everyone simply stating that nothing has changed, why not ask yourself, what have I done to affect change?

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Marty G.
MTRA Advisor