Your next five to go into the HOF

theace27

Has Bennett been around that long? The earliest of I have seen pics of Clydesdale is from around 1986ish. Maybe 85. I'd love to see some earlier stuff though.

G-MAN

The first time I met Bennett was in 1984 at Indy, His Clydesdale had been on the circuit before then,so he has been around a long time. Maybe close to 35 years.

Tim Dudley

I think Marty and Sunshine and Cajun King should be in there this year too...Marty did a lot for business too!

isonater911

Bennett says this year is his 35th year in the sport. IDK if he counts just years as a monster truck, or years since he started lifting Clydesdale #1. All I know is, he has always owned and driven his truck for ALL these years with no break.

BIGFOOTIII

I'm not bashing Dennis Anderson. Just making observations.

I liked the Grave Digger truck when it arrived. Lately, I've lost respect.

Regardless if Larry Bird was inducted into a HOF or not before or after Michael Jordan doesn't matter. This is about monster trucks, not basketball. Many have thoughts that the inductees into the MT HOF, should be done in chronological order. For the most part, I agree.

There are many people that should be inducted into the HOF before Dennis Anderson and Grave Digger. A nice guy or not. Just because he appears to be the star in one corner the of monster trucks world, because the real legends are blocked out, does not make him the end all be all. He has been promoted highly on MJ and labled a legend. I don't totally agree. Yes, he has been in the sport 30 years. What has he done to pioneer monster trucks? Has he led the way at monster trucks safer for a driver? Did he start an organization to make monster trucks safer? Was he one of the people that created monster trucks? Was he one of the first to crush cars? On and on.

I've not seen anything except Dennis be crazy and tear up trucks? And with what I have seen from the last Vegas fiasco, I have lost respect of what he/MJ seems to have brought monster trucks down to.

I feel Dennis eventually will be inducted. I just don't agree and believe it a mis-step for him to be inducted this year.

T

Xander505

Personally, I think there should be a fallen heroes section of the museum regardless of HOF induction. I say this for two reasons:

1) To catalog the history of the sport and someone's involvement.
2) Not everyone who passed is HOF worthy as much as we may like their trucks, but they did contribute to the sport's advancement and rising popularity and should be recognized.

There are a lot of fan favorites or people who played 15-20 years in sports who aren't HOF worthy, and that's not to knock the player (or driver in this instance), it's just that they weren't the cream of the crop to justify an induction. I think the HOF should be for the godfathers of the sport, true innovators, highly successful owners/drivers, promoters who were instrumental in the sport, and a few announcers. Just because a guy was on TV a few times with a unique truck in the mid-late 1980s doesn't make him a hall of famer. For the HOF honor to be prestigious, it has to be selective and only for the premiere people.

Danny H.

Personally:

1. Honorary spot for George Carpenter (even if he didn't pass away this year, I still believed he would've gotten a spot at this year's induction because the sport wouldn't be close to what it is today without him)
2. Rod Litzau (First world champ)
3. David Morris
4. Andy Brass
5. Army Armstrong

Xander505

That said, there are many directions this HOF class could go because there are dozens of deserving people and only 5 inductees each year. We've only accomplished the godfather class so far, and the next class could be premiere drivers, equipment advancement/suspension gurus, key promoters, beloved announcers, or a combination of this. The other difficulty is determining who is more worthy because some guys only won 1 national title and drove for 3 years, while others have won 10+ titles and are still driving 20-30 years later. I think at some point multi-time winning modern drivers like Mark Hall and Dan Runte will get their due, but it will probably start with the guys who won in the early years. My best guess for this year is the following:

Jim Kramer - THE driver of THE truck when racing started, and he made sure the Bigfoot name was always upheld and almost always in the winner circle.

Rod Litzau - It was only a few years, but what a ride! The first national champion, and we still reminisce about him clearing all the cars at Milwaukee and often rolling the truck trying to defend his title each weekend.

Andy Brass - After Kramer, Andy was THE guy who had to put Bigfoot in the winner circle at a time when racing was on a more leveled playing field. In the early 90s, he won multiple titles for TNT and Penda.

Dan Patrick - A pretty good driver in his own right, but also the main reason the playing field was leveled in the 90s. His suspension/chassis work is still the monster truck standard more than two decades later. I'd like to see Pablo get his credit, too, in another year or two for this.

Dennis Anderson - Many people don't like him because of the direction Feld is taking the sport and the pedestal they put him on, but he has been a successful driver since day 1 when the truck stayed together. And, even when it didn't, he had the run that got people talking, coming to the shows, and buying t-shirts.

I wanted to include David Morris/Gary Cook, but if not this year they should make it next year. I think next year could include Army Armstrong and George Carpenter if they don't make it this year, too.

Last edited:

jktremor81

My 5...

1... Mart "Sunshine and King"
2... Jim Kramer "BIGFOOT"
3... Fred Shafer "BEARFOOT"
4... Jack Willman "Taurus"
5... Mike Galloway "Commentator USHRA/USA Motorsports-TNN"

isonater911

Tyler, I have been telling the IHOF guys they need a special section of it for the "fallen heros". I mean we never know how great Mart could have been. He could have been better than Kramer, and still driving like Dennis. But I think we need to honor ALL drivers, crew, industry related that have passed. As simple as a wall display with a plaque saying who they are what they did, and a small picture. Other sports have things to that extent, and when you think about it at this point we don't have many at all.

raddi8989

Kramer
Welch
Vaters
Anderson
Carpenter

It should go by a combination of seniority and accomplishment. For this list, I'm thinking of guys who were active in 1982 or earlier.

Tim Dudley

There should be a crew member part too like you said....Some of these crew members been when it started like some of Bigfoot Crew Members and other and they can bring a broken truck home after weekend and in 2 or 3 days have it fixed that is un-heard of in other auto sports!

G-MAN

I agree with Matt, Sunshine and King were well on their way to tube chassis and a shock system in 86. One of the original fabricators already had the drawings to do this. I have asked a few times and he will have to look for them. No telling where Mart would be today in the sport, but I would bet he would be leading the pack!

AvengerFan86

Race Team - Virginia Beach Beast
What about a guy whos not been talked about that built some of the most original trucks/tanks and had one other the first touring monsters allen tura? Seems to be the first few years are all going to be about the good ol boys club.

BIGFOOTIII

Tyler, I have been telling the IHOF guys they need a special section of it for the "fallen heros". I mean we never know how great Mart could have been. He could have been better than Kramer, and still driving like Dennis. But I think we need to honor ALL drivers, crew, industry related that have passed. As simple as a wall display with a plaque saying who they are what they did, and a small picture. Other sports have things to that extent, and when you think about it at this point we don't have many at all.
I submitted as part of my nomination list an "in memorandum" section. I highly suggested to the HOF that there should be such a cermony.

T

G-MAN

It is very ironic, that our photographer Matt, is on the cover of the fallen heroes book coming out soon. The pictures taken were in Sunshine and King and both of them were professionally shot at our shop. How cool is that! We will be in the book soon,so go to our FB page and order one. We also have the 25th anniversary edition, signed, numbered and dedicated 16x20 posters in case we become famous (again).