Your next five to go into the HOF

G-MAN

Somebody post something, I don't want to be the last one before the top 20 is selected. Bad Luck!

Kouvre

http://monstermuseum.org/2012/05/19/2012-international-monster-truck-museum-hall-of-fame-nominees-announced/

The official list of nominees:

Allen Pezo
Andy Brass
Army Armstrong
Billy Joe Miles
Bob George
Dan Patrick
Dave Marquart
David Morris
Dennis Anderson
Diehl Wilson
Gary Cook
Gary Porter
George Carpenter
Jim Kramer
Jon Breen
Kirk Dabney
Mike Welch
Pablo Huffaker
Scott Stephens
Seth Doulton

All others who received at least two nominations:

Alan Tura, Bob Breen, Brett Engleman, Charlie Mancuso, Charlie Pauken, Cliff Starbird, Dan Patterson, Dave Wieczorek, David Spiker, Don Maples, Gary Bauer, George Eisenhart, Jake Henke, Jan Gabriel, Jesse Birgy, Jim Oldaker, Jim Reis, Kevin Dabney, Mark Bendler, Mark Dye, Mark Hall, Marty Garza, Merideth Doulton, Mike Gallaway, Mike Nickell, Mike Speller, Mike Vaters, Rich Hooser, Rod Litzau, Scott Douglass, Steve Combs, Steve Dane, Tim Hall, Tom Meents, and William Townes

Kouvre

I'm extremely bored at this late/early hour, so I figured I'd go into some of the accomplishments of this year's nominees:

Allen Pezo

Owner and/or driver - Hyperactive, Lone Eagle, Pouncer, Predator, Prowler, White Knight

Andy Brass

Driver - Team BIGFOOT (Bigfoot 3, 4, 8, 10, 11, any others I'm missing?)
Championships - TNT (1990), Special Events/PENDA (1992, 1993, 1994)

Army Armstrong

Television/live event announcer - TNT (1987-1990, possibly earlier?), Special Events/PENDA (1991-present)

Billy Joe Miles

Founder & Promoter, TNT Motorsports

Bob George

Founder & Promoter, Truck-A-Rama (later USHRA, presently Monster Jam)

Dan Patrick

Owner and/or driver - Keystone Beer Kruncher, Samson 4x4, Team BIGFOOT
Founder - Patrick Enterprises, Inc.
Championships - Australian Monsters Tour of Destruction - Racing (2008, 2009, 2010), Monster Truck Challenge (2002)

Dave Marquart (RIP)

Owner and/or driver - Excaliber

David Morris

Owner and/or driver - Equalizer, No Problem!
Championships - TNT (1989), USHRA - East (1994), USA Motorsports (1997)

Dennis Anderson

Founder, original owner, and driver - Team Grave Digger, Mr. Destruction
Championships - USHRA (1999), Monster Jam World Finals Freestyle (2000), Monster Jam World Finals Racing (2004, 2006, 2010)

Diehl Wilson

Owner and driver - Virginia Giant
Championships - USHRA Thunder Nationals (2002, 2003, 2004)

Gary Cook

Builder and original owner - Equalizer
Championships - TNT (1989), USHRA - East (1994)

Gary Porter

Builder and original owner - Carolina Crusher
Driver - Carolina Crusher, Team Grave Digger, Spiderman, various others
Championships - Special Events/PENDA (1991)

George Carpenter (RIP)

(Actually kinda hazy on this one, need help here besides just this entry)
Co-founder - Monster Truck Racing Association

Jim Kramer

Vice President - Team BIGFOOT
Driver - Team BIGFOOT (3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, others?)

Jon Breen

Owner and/or driver - Mad Dog, Micro Machines, Ozark Viper, Whisky Business, Wild Hair
Builder of the first "race" monster truck - Mad Dog 3 (1987)

Kirk Dabney

Co-Owner and/or driver - Blue Thunder, Duraliner Giant, Mega Force, Monster Patrol, Nitemare, Overkill, Thunder Beast, Thunder Struck, Wild Thang
Championships - USHRA Thunder Nationals (1996)
Multiple-time land speed record holder in a monster truck

Mike Welch

Owner, builder, and/or driver - Monster Mash, Super Pete, countless others
Promoter and/or announcer - Mike Welch Motorsports, others

Pablo Huffaker

Owner and/or driver - Team Grave Digger, Black Smith, Captain's Curse, Jus' Show'n Off, King Krunch, Ragin' Steel, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, The Executioner (original name for King Krunch)
Championships - Monster Jam World Finals Freestyle (2007)
Founder - Racesource, Inc.

Scott Stephens

Owner and/or driver - Auto Value Special, Coors Brewser, Coors Silver Bullet, Firemouth Racing, King Krunch, The Executioner (original name for King Krunch)
Founder - Texas Off-Road

Seth Doulton

Owner - AM/PM Boss, AM/PM Flying Eagle, AM/PM Rocket, Cardiff Giant, Copenhagen/SKOAL Crusher, Ecology Eliminator, Gulf Super Special, Hawaiian Punch, Lethal Weapon, Samson I, SKOAL Bandit
Promoter - Golden State Promotions
Promoted first ever side-by-side monster truck racing event (1984)

That's all I can think of. Corrections and additions are welcome.

Last edited:

Back In Black

Well the inductions have come and gone. I believe that Jimmy Kramer was the one unanimous decision by everyone and that one was right. I have a small gripe for some of the others

Dennis Anderson - this was a tough one. One hand says yes. He should be in. The other says not just yet. He was part of the second generation. That's the only thing holding me back on that. But him being inducted was a huge pr gain for the HOF. He should be in. But maybe next year.

Pablo Huffaker- super nice guy and long time contributer. But.. He's never owned a truck and had moderate success when the others who have not made it were enjoying success

Mike welch- another tough one. Maybe next year to me but very happy he's in. He's a super dude. Happy for him

George Carpenter- Bob George should have been first. Then him.

I was lucky enough to attend both years. What a great time. Chillin with legands. Lol.
I just hope the politics are over. Dennis said he wants to support the hall and get the name out. That's what they wanted. That's what they might get. Again. I believe he should be in but there were a few others who should go first.

wrecker1

Pablo Huffaker- super nice guy and long time contributer. But.. He's never owned a truck and had moderate success when the others who have not made it were enjoying success
A correction, Pablo has owned a few trucks. Just Showin' Off and Purina Mainstay.

Back In Black

If that's wrong than that's my fault. But I did hear him say several times that it's an honor to go in having never owned a truck and being a hired gun. Just going by what he said

RnW 13

I think Scott Stephens should have been inducted before Pablo, seeing as Scott hired Pablo which means Pablo would not even be here without Scott(or just finally getting into the sport in more recent years), as well as the fact he was one of the first to really start building his trucks to be more suitable for racing conditions, one of the first beer themed trucks, one of the first jet engine trucks. Dont get me wrong I think Pablo is the greatest of the Digger drivers and one of the friendliest people in the sport, but again, Scott gave him the foot in the door, he needs to be regonized first.

I think Bennet Clark should be inducted for the already mentioned over 30 plus years involement, too tough to quit and we love him for that.
I think Bobby Holman(Beast) should be on the list as well as Steve Hess(Nitemare I thru 4), there evolution from street trucks to show n shine to monsterized is a great tale to tell.

Dan Patrick too, granted he started later than the others, his innovations changed the sport.

Seth Doulton should be a shoe in, he was one of the first to really push the war between ford and chevy as well as directly fight to beat Bigfoot, had an arsonal of trucks with corporate backing(BP AM/PM, GULF, Us Smokeless Tobacco, Ecology Auto Wrecking, Rancho, Goodyear), he was able to take those and turn it into a promotion company and even create new vehicles(US Sprint Trucks). And Ecology Elminator was one of the best built trucks ever made, one of the few leafers that could keep up and beat the then dominate tube racers.

those would be my 5 if anything. I think Steve Dan, Jon Breen, Kirk Dabney and a few others are worth the mentions and would make suitable inductees in later years.

Some of the nominees I find odd though. There are track crew/tech officials, and painters on the list were there should be more drivers and promoters.

you guys arent the only ones to have said this. There was a lot of talk about it even at the hall of fame night. The selections were all hall of fame worthy but the timing seemd rather staged.

Back In Black

It was a rather smart business move to get the most popular truck right drivers / owner in right now. Was upset Anderson didn't bring a variation of grave digger there. But I think he was kinda on the fence about the HOF in general. He seemed to really want to be a part of it and put his name out there with it. Mission accomplished by HOF committee. Weather he means it or was just caught up in the moment, the HOF got what they want. Although this pissed off some of the others associated with the hall. Not at liberty to say exactly who but there may be some changes a comin. Again, Dennis Anderson ... Totally deserving. Guy has busted his *** the last 30 years and is truly a class act. Great to meet him. I feel bad for questioning his timing. During the fund raising auction he went out to his car and got a ton of digger stuff to auction to help out. 100% great dude

modeltruckshop

As someone that was 100% behind the museum to start with, and had waited many years for this to start I was very honored to get to help both at the museum and with the selection both years. Myself I thought the first year the choices were the best possible for an inuagral group. I was in total agreement with all of them.

For the second year it was not as smooth. I don't want to be the one to say "There is no Santa Clause" but the process failed as far as I am concerned this year. Although I think every person nominated this year is Hall of Fame worthy,I think the time line of the nominees makes no sense. A huge but not diverse nominating committee was asssembled but with very little direction. It became clear early on that the "timeline" was being thrown out the window. When these decisions were questioned they were quickly dismissed and never dealt with as a group. I talked to two of the board members MANY times with no luck and talked to 3 of last years nominees very often as well about the process and direction or lack there of. Once again none of it was dealt with. The nominating rules were frequently changed and straight answers very hard to come by.

As most people would guess Dennis brought the most contreversy, we were told early on the tractor tired trucks do not count, or years mud racing and car crushing with tractor tires, BUT for Dennis they would. The board determined that Dennis had 66's in 1985. We all know his first set was from Quadzilla/Blue Thunder, Blue Thunder was at the Silverdome with those tires still on it in November of 1985. So it must have been VERY late 1985 he got them eh??? The same tires and wheels appear in a picture still at Dabney's shop in April of 1986. So apparently his tractor tired years count, BUT Cyclops is not recognized as a monstyer truck by the board, as well as Krimson Krusher 1, MudLord etc... Or Brutte Boss Hogg. Muchless a truck like MUDRAT and his 66" terra tires.

Pablo presented the same glitch in the "timeline". The board determined they were campaining the ELIMINATOR truck in 1982 but Scott himself said it was named after the ZZ Top album which debuted in March of 1983........once again the rules were adjusted to fit the need. Somehow Scott was totally skipped over...............................

Several other similar problems unfolded but it quicky became a dictatorship and not a democracy. As I said above every one of this years guys should go in but the original intenet to my understanding was chronologicaly. Now what happens does the nomination go backwards or just tell the Pezo's,Doulton's,Townes and Tura's of the world too bad????? I have broad enough shoulders to take the flaming to follow but I for one tried to take this very serious and research it very seriously. That did not fit the marketing and financial needs of the museum as many of you have probably noticed. It is too bad because it is a great idea and something our sport needs for sure. For now it just needs the word ENTERTAINMENT added after the logo as far as I am concerned though, for whatever that may be worth. All of the "sour grapes" people should go back and check my past post showing the total support of the museum,helping both with displays, doantions, work on the trucks and help to promote the museum and what it was built for. See what I had done there first, Then start the flaming.............. Thanks,Steve

Last edited:

MasterofTame

Jim kramer, Dennis Anderson, Dan Patrick, Pablo Huffaker & Scott Stephens
Now that Kramer, Anderson and Pablo are in the hall, I must say my next five would be:

Dan Patrick: built and drove Samson II (a stage II truck) and started building most of the stage III trucks starting with Bigfoot VIII and still builds them as well as drove Samson for years until this year.
Scott Stephens: one of the few guys to drive through stage I trucks and always innovated (look at the GMC King Krunch from 89/99)
Gary Porter: one of the few drivers to drive stage I trucks and STILL perform to this day.
Rod Litzau: the first driver to win a points championship in 1988, that is enough of a reason to be in the hall in my book.
Andy Brass: One of the most winning drivers both in races and titles.

Last edited:

Paul curtis

The next 5 I want to see are:
Dan Patrick, his contributions over the years are unmatched, and he should have been in the 2nd group!
Bennett Clark
Andy Brass
Army Armstrong
Seth Daulton

GearhartEng

As someone that was 100% behind the museum to start with, and had waited many years for this to start I was very honored to get to help both at the museum and with the selection both years. Myself I thought the first year the choices were the best possible for an inuagral group. I was in total agreement with all of them.

For the second year it was not as smooth. I don't want to be the one to say "There is no Santa Clause" but the process failed as far as I am concerned this year. Although I think every person nominated this year is Hall of Fame worthy,I think the time line of the nominees makes no sense. A huge but not diverse nominating committee was asssembled but with very little direction. It became clear early on that the "timeline" was being thrown out the window. When these decisions were questioned they were quickly dismissed and never dealt with as a group. I talked to two of the board members MANY times with no luck and talked to 3 of last years nominees very often as well about the process and direction or lack there of. Once again none of it was dealt with. The nominating rules were frequently changed and straight answers very hard to come by.

As most people would guess Dennis brought the most contreversy, we were told early on the tractor tired trucks do not count, or years mud racing and car crushing with tractor tires, BUT for Dennis they would. The board determined that Dennis had 66's in 1985. We all know his first set was from Quadzilla/Blue Thunder, Blue Thunder was at the Silverdome with those tires still on it in November of 1985. So it must have been VERY late 1985 he got them eh??? The same tires and wheels appear in a picture still at Dabney's shop in April of 1986. So apparently his tractor tired years count, BUT Cyclops is not recognized as a monstyer truck by the board, as well as Krimson Krusher 1, MudLord etc... Or Brutte Boss Hogg. Muchless a truck like MUDRAT and his 66" terra tires.

Pablo presented the same glitch in the "timeline". The board determined they were campaining the ELIMINATOR truck in 1982 but Scott himself said it was named after the ZZ Top album which debuted in March of 1983........once again the rules were adjusted to fit the need. Somehow Scott was totally skipped over...............................

Several other similar problems unfolded but it quicky became a dictatorship and not a democracy. As I said above every one of this years guys should go in but the original intenet to my understanding was chronologicaly. Now what happens does the nomination go backwards or just tell the Pezo's,Doulton's,Townes and Tura's of the world too bad????? I have broad enough shoulders to take the flaming to follow but I for one tried to take this very serious and research it very seriously. That did not fit the marketing and financial needs of the museum as many of you have probably noticed. It is too bad because it is a great idea and something our sport needs for sure. For now it just needs the word ENTERTAINMENT added after the logo as far as I am concerned though, for whatever that may be worth. All of the "sour grapes" people should go back and check my past post showing the total support of the museum,helping both with displays, doantions, work on the trucks and help to promote the museum and what it was built for. See what I had done there first, Then start the flaming.............. Thanks,Steve
THANK YOU for all the time and hard work you have put into the museum and HOF. especially for standing up for what is right.

72ZEBRA

Im a huge supporter of the IMTHOF, but this years class boggled my mind. Soooooo many greats were passed over.

That being said this is who I hope for next

Bob Breen
Jack Koberna
Seth Doulton
Bennet Clark
Gary Porter
Scott Stephens

And I know how tough a decision this is because I have about 5 more names I want to add still!!!

MonsterNerd1986

This seems to be a popular phase under threads about HoF list "Now what happens do the nomination go backwards." Threads here keep showing the guys who were later in the 80s now be nominated. Should those of us that know and love the history of the sport assume the drivers parked trucks after 1983, and forget what Tura, Baur, Starbird, Bendler and, and Spikers did? I sure wont forget what they did 1984 & 1985 were amazing years for Monster Trucks with a burst of talent and engineeing, look at Mark Dye, the truck was way ahead of it time. These are guys that had long careers, and transistion from leafers to race trucks. These guys shouldnt be lost in voting process if this is about a time line. There are several worthy nominees and plenty of room without rushing the list "of to be inducted" because of celebrity, to the end of the 1980s.

Back In Black

How about some more originators ? Jim Oldaker with Rollin thunder, cliff starbird had TWO popular machines. Spiker had three! Scott Stephans no doubt should have already been in. They need to stop with just drivers right now unless they had involvement in the design or progress of the truck. Rodney Litzou comes to mind for that. What about Jan Gabrial? He produced the first big shows to bring mt's to us on tv. Before we get to the TNT years, we are forgetting about the ten years before that.

MasterofTame

The problem is there are a LOT of early owners, builders, drivers, promoters, announcers innovators and some who did all of it in the early 80's and through to the mid and late 80's when the trucks became hugely popular. I know I only have a limited knowledge of pre-1987 monster trucks but, you have to think about a lot. To me, it is similar to the NASCAR Hall of Fame right now. For the first several years having a five person class hurts it because of how many owners, builders, drivers, promoters, announcers and innovators there are. I mean we all every that deserves to be in will be at some point but until the classes are increased, they are battling a huge amount of time. I honestly think that we can't complain about any of the owners or drivers in the first two classes. Bob Chandler and Jim Kramer of Bigfoot, Jack Willman with Taurus, Fred Shafer with Bearfoot, Everett Jasmer with USA-1, Dan Degrasso with the Beast, Jeff Dane with the Kongs, Mike Welch with the Welch stable (Monster Mash, Super Pete, The Destroyers, ect.) George Carpenter, Dennis Anderson and Grave Digger, and Paul/Pablo Huffaker with the early King Krunch, Just Showin' Off, Purina Mainstay and Digger. Seriously I don't see many people who should complain about that consider the class sizes. I agree we need larger class sizes but the fact is, everyone named will be in the Hall at some point. The question is not if, but when.